Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Musings


I read this today:
From the Existentialist cowboy

Bush has not governed a free people, he has supervised a crime syndicate. He has, thus far, gotten away with it. As a result, American forces are bogged down in an unwinnable war against an enemy of our making in a war begun upon a pack of lies. To what degree do Americans share his guilt by simply obeying the laws and, in passive ways, enabling his criminal, murderous regime?
I recommend that you take the time to click over there and read the entire article.

I took Aunt Jo to the airport tonight. She is flying down to spend 12 days with Amy and Lee and she left on a beautiful day. We got up to 60 degrees today and it was lovely. There was a gal at the airport in just a jacket and I asked her if she liked the weather. She (kind of) grinned and said that this was "Iowa, it'll change." I guess she is right but I saw a lot of melted snow today and I for one am glad. I am still coughing.

Then I stopped at a really neat place. Graziano Brothers, Inc Wholesale and Retail Italian Foods. It has been there since 1912 and I had never heard of it until Tom Dean mentioned it to me in one of his e-mails. I got two kinds of meat, some cheese, olive oil, orange jelly and two kinds of hard candy, mint and anise. The anise is delightful. Not a strong taste at all. So I thank you Tom.

I was asked to attend the Officer's meeting at the Scottish Rite to help out with newsletter writing. Shane asked me to come down and take notes and then write up articles for the newsletter. I was glad to do it and for the most part I felt welcomed. One person obviously questioned my being there and did not think I should have voted on the candidates. You know it is funny. Before he got there I was given a list of the candidates and I said something about my not voting and had been told that yes, anyone who attended the meeting and who was a member could vote. So when I was passed the ballot box I voted. I was proud to do so as I knew some of the members as they belong to Arcadia Lodge.

Later when Shane explained why I was there this person said something about how he did not think I should have voted. I sort of laughed it off but you know really one person can make you feel unwelcome. Even though almost all the guys there were welcoming and friendly I am not sure I want to do it again because of one person. I know he probably would wish I wasn't there but I was asked - I didn't ask and I was there for a reason. I don't know what his problem is but I guess there are just some people who are not going to be my friend - ever. And I guess I should stop trying to be his friend.

It is hard for me to take my own advice. I used to tell my students that one negative person does not have to color their whole experience but it does. The expression on their face or the remarks they make hurt. Whether they mean to or not it hurts. So, as I said I don't know if I want to do it again. I did it tonight, came home and wrote up the notes and sent them in. The officers are a good group of guys and I appreciated having something to do for the Scottish Rite but I don't know. It doesn't seem worth the heartache.

It is just stupid to feel this way. He may not even have known that he hurt my feelings. After Monday's experience with Stephanie and the nice e-mail and comments others made what he said should not have mattered, but it did. One negative thing can really push a person down. I guess it is just payback because I am such a crummy person. Oh well give me time,..

After the meeting I went out to my favorite restaurant, Chef's Kitchen. It was very busy tonight but they had my "usual" table for me. I got the special Meat Loaf and it was really good. I had to bring half of it home with me. Big portions. (and I took two cookies). I had to eat alone but I am still reading Stephanie's book so I guess I had company of a sort. I am used to eating alone.

I am going down to Des Moines for lunch with Matt tomorrow and to The Producers tomorrow night. Wade Sheeler is coming up from Newton to go with us. Friday morning I am having coffee with Wayne and Ken Davis. Ken is Wayne's son and lives in Indiana. He does Prospero's Books but has been relatively inactive lately. I need to post the Wednesday Service for the CS Church and then decide on who I am putting up for Women's History. So busy. ARTYAL, Hugs, j

No comments: