Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sunday Wisdom


From One Mountain, Many Paths
An American Freemason Speaks Out for Peace
by Dr. Patrick Swift
Click book or here to go to the page and buy it for yourself,

This week we find:

All living creatures should not be slain nor treated with violence nor abused, nor tormented nor cast away. This is the pure unchangeable law.


Sutrakritanga, Adapted
Jainism

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly; do not claim to be wiser than you are.

Romans 12: 14-16
Christianity

It is not always easy to live up to the dictates of religion. I find that I do enjoy eating meat and I doubt very much that I could be a Jain
although I am fascinated by the philosophy. Perhaps in another lifetime. I also have trouble blessing those who curse you. If someone attacks me or yells at me I will not give them a second chance. They just leave my circle of friends. I will be cordial but I will not feel close to them nor will I think loving thoughts towards them. I do not (generally) give them a second chance to hurt me. This is not the way I necessarily want to be. It is just the way I am.

I find that I have very nasty thoughts towards those who abuse animals. My friend John has rescued many, many dogs. He rehabilitates them from situations where they have been abused and gives them a loving home. He is a wonderful person and I am so glad that my fraternity allowed me to meet him. I am not sure what he thinks about the previous owners of his animals but I know what I think of them I do hope there is a karma and that their actions will come back on them. Then I sometimes think that mine will come back on me and I hope there is no such thing.

Anyway I probably needed todays lesson more that you did. That is why the book opened where it did. So I will spend today trying to bless those who have cursed me (though it will be hard) and I will also weep with another friend who is in Connecticut with his wife where they went to be with her best friend who just died of cancer. If you can, send a prayer to David and Theresa and their friends as they are going through this time. Mental hugs to all of them. God Bless. j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Bro. Jay!

I can tell you exactly what I think about the people with whom my little flock lived previously.

In some cases, their previous owners were kind, loving people who, for whatever reason--health, financial reverses, changed family circumstances, job changes--surrendered their companion animals to rescue so that the animals will not suffer. There is a special place in heaven for those people, and a joyous reunion in the world ahead.

Some people are just flat-out stupid, and haven't even a suspicion that a dog (or cat, or other animal, for that matter) might have some intelligence and personality. For them, I pray for understanding and enlightenment.

Others are, I suspect, by nature ineffective or incompetent people who find their own self-worth only in abusing creatures weaker than they. I wish for them the professional help they need to overcome their abusive habits.

The very worst are those who see companion animals as a cash crop, no different from corn or soybeans, but needing much less care or attention. By providing only their animals' most basic needs for minimal food and water, and neglecting completely their health, sanitation, and socialization, these people breed a female every time she comes into heat.

These are "puppy millers," on whatever scale, and they are genuinely evil people. There is a very special place in hell for them. There is seldom any redemption for them on this earth, and, I would suspect, little relief in the world that is to come.

Puppy millers are also the people who provide at least 99% of the animals one sees for sale in pet stores. When those cute puppies in the window grow too big to be sold easily, they are often taken out back of the store and killed.

But even the sorely neglected or abused creatures, who have every reason to hate every human, can blossom if given half a chance. I know. I live with three of them (of my seven dogs and one cat) right now, and have lived very happily with many others.

Animals are far more forgiving than most humans. We have much to learn from them.

John