Thursday, February 5, 2009

Surprising Ames



So today I took a break to go to lunch. I go to the Grove Cafe when I can.

Larry makes a patty melt that is to die for. It is not made on a bun but rather made like a grilled cheese sandwich only with an onion and hamburger inside. I love it. (That is Larry in the orange T-shirt) He alway has some banter going and usually I just listen but today we got to talking and I mentioned wine. As I left he gave me a brochure for Iowa's Wine Cellar which is probably a fairly new place in town



He recommended that the next time I needed wine I should check it out. So I did. $75 dollars poorer I left with some wine and some other "stuff" and a new place to go. They have wine tastings on Friday and Saturday so you may want to check it out.

It was fun to see how many winerys from Iowa were represented. I got some Blackberry Wine (which I have never had) Thinking about Hyacinth Bucket on British TV and the wine she purchased at an estate auction and how she got plastered on it brought some giggles. I always love watching that episode. Come to think of it it was probably not Blackberry but gooseberry wine but it made me think about her.

Then I discovered through their links that there were a couple of other places to check out. Ames British Foods and Blackmarket Pizza (opening in March) look like fun places to visit. - Ames has some surprising places that I had not known about. I am looking forward to my explorations. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL - Hugs, j

No comments: