Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Boston Panorama

Click on picture to embiggen.
I am in Boston or Bean Town as some say, to be a part of Photoshop World 2009, as some 3,000 photographers, graphic artists, and others, all big fans of the Photoshop software gather for a week of classes, workshops, demos, and fun. This is a panoramic I shot from my room window when I arrived on Monday, showing the St. Charles River in the foreground and the buildings and structures of Cambridge on the other side of the river. If you go to the far right of the pano you can see the famous Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge, which is a thing of beauty (Google it and you can see more). It is the widest suspension bridge of its kind in the world, something like 5 lanes of traffic side by side going each direction. As you move to the left you see the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and then comes Harvard along the way and in the spaces behind the river bank. As you go to the far left you see the famous CITGO sign which is always on and was demanded by baseball fans that it remain glowing across the interstate from Fenway Park, home of the Boston White Socks. It is COLD here...32 and wind speed faster than the temperature when I arrived! I will be inside most all the time, but will go out and do some shooting on Saturday if the weather permits. There sure is lots of history in this town...and some Photoshop history will undoubtedly be made here this week as well.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

ahhhh Boston! one of my most favorite places

Steve said...

Very nice panorama. How did you do it? The few panoramas I've done took many hours of painful work to meld them together.
I wish I was at the photoshop convention.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve....

The panorama you referred to was shot with a small pocket size Canon point and shoot digital camera. The magic of the panorama comes from the incredible ways that Photoshop stitches, blends, and creates the panorama. It took only a few minutes to complete. The other panos that were posted later were shot with my Nikon D2X, single lens reflex digital camera. It is a much better camera than the Canon, but I needed to shoot that pano fast as I was moving out of my room, due to a non functioning internet connection.

I will send Jay some more panos this coming week showing the Boston skyline from out in the harbor, looking to the west. Hopefully they will be equally impressive.

So you are in UAE....I do think I would like to visit there or in Dubai someday, to see if it really IS all they say! Take care...thanks for your comment!

Bob Kelly

Anonymous said...

Cable-stayed bridges are not suspension bridges!