Saturday, March 7, 2009

Reminder To "Spring Forward"



Tonight we all (except some people who refuse to do so) do a little time traveling. Magically when we wake up in the morning we will have moved one hour into the future. We do this every year. In the fall we do the reverse.

We pay for it by losing that hour of sleep and it is probably all right. I am sure there is some reason for it. But in my befuddled condition I am not sure I can wrap my mind around it. Modern DST can be traced to William Willett.

I remember as a youngster some woman wrote a letter to the editor complaining that her plants would suffer because of the "extra" hour of sunlight. I am sure they printed it to remind us of the great number of really stupid people who inhabit our world.

I was supposed to go to a Grand Lodge Reception tonight in Des Moines but for the past two nights I have not slept well. Waking with a sore throat and coughing and a runny nose and the restful sleep I usually have was not available to me. Then the Daylight Savings Time promises to rob me of an hour of sleep time tonight.

So instead of a plethora of postings the last couple of days there has been a paucity which is perfectly problematic for my many readers who expect me to churn out post after post to keep them entertained.

I am wondering what the "boys" will do about Daylight Savings time tomorrow morning. You see they get me up at 7:15 AM. Since it will be 8:15 DST I wonder if I will get to sleep in. It would be nice. (They did - It was 8:00 - fooled them - still fighting one side only dripping.)

Thanks for stopping by and remember to go time travelling with me Unless you live in Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Nation) and Hawaii and the territories of Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, and American Samoa. They are the only places in the U.S. that do not observe DST but instead stay on "standard time" all year long. And if you've spent any time in the sweltering summer sun in those regions you can understand why residents don't need another hour of sunlight.
ARTYAL. Hugs, j-bear

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I've aleady run around the house setting the clocks ahead. I do that after supper every time we have a time change.