Monday, June 29, 2009

Recommended Reading

OK, I have my phone and my Internets back and I was just checking with my blogs. I found this over at the papers of Robert G. Davis. I recommend you read it. Especially if you are responsible for setting the "tone" of your Lodge.

Mediocrity in Masonry . . . Shame on us!
One of the questions that occasionally eats at me when I am driving home from a Masonic event, degree, or function that has been woefully mediocre is how our members can sit through such Masonic happenings month after month and still believe our fraternity is relevant and meaningful to men’s lives? How honest are we in claiming we make good men better while persistently repeating practices and behaviors which are so distinctively average, or worse? Self improvement involves some form of positive change. It requires some level of progress; entails some elevated sense of being. Explain to me how a lodge facilitates self improvement by offering its members a venue that doesn’t “feel” any different when they are inside the lodge than outside of it.
Click here to read the rest of this important article.

I will be back later but really nothing I can write is going to beat what Bob wrote.

1 comment:

kt.chris said...

Jay:

This sounds strangely familiar. Thank you for posting this. Bob Davis'writings seem to be our conscience. While I love his work, we should be coming up with solutions to the problems he has already identified. Thank God for SPUD. We seem to move faster than other Lodges in this arena.

KTC