Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This and That

My car is all fixed - filled up with gas and am almost packed. Tuxedo and clothing are almost ready to go. Just finishing some washing. Will get up in the morning and take off. Jon is moving in to take care of the kids and that is fine since two of them are his. Did I tell you I am going to Oklahoma to the United Grand Imperial Council of the Red Cross of Constantine and Appendant Bodies for the Unites States, Mexico and the Phillippines?

I took Max and Bailey to the groomer this morning. They are beautiful. But they know something is up and do not want to pose...

When I get back I am getting new carpet - I have it picked out. I need it. And Mr. Bailey may find himself locked up also when I leave. He is a typical Yorkie and does not really understand that he just can't pee anywhere. I mean Really! (Max gets locked up because he likes to chew up my pens)

I am going to RANT now so get ready.

I am really pissed off at all the people who are trashing Mr. Obama's Supreme Court Nominee. She is a remarkably intelligent woman who has paid her dues. She worked for 5 years on the "front lines" prosecuting criminals. She is a JUDGE and from all reports a good one. And yes her experiences as a Latina woman give her a perspective that this old "white man" does not have. She has been (and still is) on the receiving end of prejudice.

The Wing nuts are comparing her to a maid for God sake - as if the only thing a Latina woman was able to do was be a maid. That really makes my blood boil. Every human being on this world has one thing in common. Potential! That is the most important thing we all have going for us. The fact is folks, everybody can achieve. As a teacher for 38 years I saw it happen over and over again. When a student was motivated and had support and was valued and given the assistance necessary they could achieve. - Yes, I know that there are some "challenged" students but even the student in the "special " class were able to memorize the following poem which was a requirement to pass my sixth grade class. Of course, I had to prove it to their teacher but you know the satisfaction on their face when they did it was awe inspiring.

If you think you are beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can’t. It is almost a cinch you won't.
If you think you'll lose, you've lost,
For out in the world we find success begins with a person's will. It's all in your state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself before you can ever win the prize.
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster one
But soon or late the one who wins is the one who thinks he can

Sotomoyer was nominated for the Supreme Court. She has to go before the Senate (Charles Grassley is become an embarrassment to Iowa with his comments and his Twitters) and they Advise and Consent. Let the system do its work. But don't put her down because she is a Latina and a woman. That is prejudice and stereotyping and is not the way to do business.

Speaking of decency. What the hell is going on with Graham and Libermann. They are threatening to shut down the government if their bill keeping the photos of abuse from being published. The thing is. They have been published already, people have seen them. What needs to be done is that the people who authorized this inhumane treatment of other human beings need to be held accountable. They need to be taken from where ever they are and put on trial and if found guilty they need to be punished for what was allowed. Sorry Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheny, et al. You did it! You need to pay for it. In this country no one should be above the law.

If Mr. Obama is worried about how the world will perceive us - well, I hate to tell you sir - They already have that perception. If we stand up and say this was WRONG and hold folks accountable they will have a different perception of America. The perception that we are not hypocrites but are instead a nation that stands for law and what is the right thing. What was done to these people was wrong and someone needs to be held accountable. Unfortunately Mr. Obama is covering this up and doing the same thing the Mr. Ford did. ... Letting it go. He has not kept his promises and I for one no longer consider myself a democrat. I cannot support the wishy washy Democrats or the hypocrites of the Republican Party who say one thing and do another. So I return to Independence. I will vote for whomever I feel is the most truthful. To say that I am profoundly disappointed in Mr. Obama would be an understatement. There - that is my rant. Agree or not - it is up to you. Thanks for stopping by, Hugs, j-bear

Addendum: - I recommend this. My Blogfriend writes of an experience she had. It will give you chills. Especially if you are a parent.

2 comments:

Nessa said...

Have fun on your trip.

Politicians are just so...many things. So are journalists.

Anonymous said...

I love your Sotomayer rant. Keep them coming.