Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Trip to Oklahoma - 1

8:15 AM - Left Ames. Headed South on I-35. Just as I turned onto I-80 my Brother (Craig) called me to remind me that "Nothing can impede your progress." I taught him that when he was worrying about a train or something up ahead on one of our Masonic Trips. It works. It really does. I got around Des Moines and this is what the road looks like South of Des Moines. Who said Iowa is flat?
Stopped for gas once on the way down. It was $2.49 a gallon and cost me $34.64. Otherwise it was "bull it through as my step-father used to say (I did not, however, have a bottle of 7-up topped off with whiskey to fuel me as I drove. Just coffee and Coke Zero). This was Kansas. Nice overcast day for driving. I got 19.1 MPG on the trip.
Got into Guthrie at 4:30 PM. - Drove downtown and asked where the Big Scottish Rite Building was. Everybody knows where it is. I drove right to it and took these pictures. I am going to go there tomorrow morning. It looks impressive. The bottom pictures shows the "hotel" that is attached to the back of it. I am staying at the Best Western. While I was checking in my Brother Kurt called to check on me. It is nice to have friends who care about me. He was on his way to a Commandery meeting.
I asked the desk clerk where to eat and was directed to a place called Stables. Actually he told me a couple of other places close by but I told him I did not care if it was close by or not so he told me about this place. According to the menu the place started out as a Livery Stable.
You can tell it is going to be good by the smell and the pile of wood for smoking the meat.
Signs all over the place. I must be a Hippie because I used the side door.

Hickory Ham Sandwich with onion rings. (I left most of them (fried you know)) but the sandwich was wonderful
Of course I had a very healthy dessert. An Apple (I won't mention all the other stuff on the plate. Just the very delicious healthy apple. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL. Hugs j-bear

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the on the road photographs. The food looks amazing. I love any sort of apple desserts.

Nessa said...

I love that you are taking us along on your road trip.

Dianne said...

I use the side door at home too! ;)