Saturday, August 11, 2012

Something for Saturday

 There was a time when I kept a carton of eggs in the refrigerator.  I usually got just a half carton as I live alone and didn't use them very fast.

I enjoy eating eggs,  if,  I say IF they are prepared a certain way.  And that way is over easy..  I like the runny yolk and I usually like them on toast or hashbrowns.

When I cooked more I used eggs in things. I liked to crack a couple of them and put them in meatloaf.  I don't know that it made any difference but I liked it.

Here is my meatloaf recipe from the Family Cookbook:
Jay's Meat Loaf
1½ lbs.    Ground Beef
1 10 oz.   Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 lg.         Eggs
1 pkg.      Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1T              Worcestershire Sauce
½ cup         Corn Flake Crumbs
1small can  Mushrooms (I like B & B brand)
                Kitchen Sink if you feel like it!
Procedure
1   Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl.
2   Place in loaf pan.
3   Bake:  350°
( I always liked it that my Uncle Dave would eat this meatloaf and he didn't like meatloaf.  It was something I invented one day from things I just had in the kitchen.)

I also enjoy Eggs Benedict, Omelets, scrambled eggs, fried egg sandwiches and eggs in potato salad. Now I have purposely left off hard boiled eggs because I don't like them.  I am eating a lot of salads right now and get them pre-prepared from the store.  Several of them have hard boiled eggs on them and I used to take them off and toss them.   Lately I have been lazy and have just put an extra dollop of dressing on the egg and gulp it down.  I think mainly it is the texture I don't enjoy because I can eat them.. Oops, don't like deviled eggs either.


Mother used to put eggs on her pancakes. I always put syrup on mine.  She saved the syrup for the last pancake.  Since I developed diabetes I try to watch my sugar intake so now when I get pancakes or a waffle I often put my egg on them and then save the syrup for the last one.  I find that I enjoy it that way.  Who knew?

When I was a kid once in awhile we would get an egg that was fertilized and had started to produce a chicken.  We got our eggs from a farm near our place then.  That didn't appeal to me but I still like eggs.

My mother used to tell me the story about her sister and brother-in-law who were eating in a diner and ordered the eggs "over easy"  -  they came sunny side up and with a raw runny white where it should have been cooked.  My uncle sent them back. He could see the cook who got the plate turned the eggs over and sent them right back out. They went ahead and ate them.  But then they were much nicer that I would have been.

No comments: