Saturday, August 18, 2012

Something for Saturday


"Everyone who has ever eaten this dessert has said it is "to die for!"  
1     can   Sweetened Condensed milk (Eagle Brand)
1/2  pint  Whipping cream
1  pkg.  Vanilla wafers
            Nuts, crushed, optional
Procedure
1   Carmelize sweetened condensed milk.
2   TO CARAMELIZE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK; Pour can into shallow pan, cover with foil and bake in a 424° oven for 1 1/2 hours.
3   In large bowl, blend with 1/2 pint of whipped cream.
4   Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers in a 9 x  9 inch pan.
5   Add a layer of milk mixture.
6   Alternate vanilla wafers and milk mixture, ending with milk mixture on top.
7   Refrigerate 24 hours.
8   OPTIONAL:  Garnish with whipped cream, crushed vanilla wafers with nuts and a cherry.

Author: Sadie Underwood Cole

This is my favorite dessert.  It has an addictive flavor and I used to sneak extra helpings.  It is not what you would call a healthy dessert but if you serve small sized servings it will leave them wanting more and will be a winner for you.

My grandmother was Sadie Underwood Cole and she was the best cook in the world as far as I was concerned.  I know that she did not use this method to caramelize her Sweetened Condensed Milk. (Eagle Brand) but there was a possibility of exploding cans the way she did it so my aunt JoAnn who supplied this to the Cook Book uses the method above which is safer. (Actually Ginny tells me she found this method for caramelizing the milk.  Sorry Ginny.) Aunt Jo is a great cook also.

If you try it let me know how it turns out for you.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

looks and sounds delicious!!

Ginny Jackson said...

Actually I found this method of caramelizing the sweetened condensed milk on the Eagle Brand web-site.