Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Greek Honey

In 1976 I was in Greece for a week on the way back from a trip to Egypt with 21 other teachers from Iowa.  We were there to study the Egyptian culture.  We were allowed one stop on our way back to the United States and I chose Greece.



I had written to a few Masons to see if there was anything Masonic occurring when I would be there.  One of them invited me to be his house guest while I was there and I gladly accepted.  George and Margaret Hatzaras were wonderful hosts.  George was the Secretary/Recorder of the Grand Chapter and Council of Greece and I was the Grand Principal Sojourner of Iowa at the time.

They liven in a beautiful home on a hill near Athens and I was given their son's bedroom. Among other things they introduced me to Greek honey.  It was the best honey I had ever eaten.  When my visit was over they sent me home with a tin of honey.  It was my best souvenir from the trip.


It is not easy to find Greek honey in Iowa.  the next time I was able to purchase it was when I went to the National Education Representative Assembly in Detroit, Michigan.  They had a "Greek town" there.  I went there specifically to find the honey and I lucked out.  I was telling the counterman how much I enjoyed the honey.  Noticing my Masonic belt buckle he said that was because the bees got their nectar from the thyme fields that grew on the hills behind Hiram Abiff's palace.

With the advent of the Internet I have been able to find some other sources for Greek honey.  The honey that I get is described as "of top quality. It is organic and has not been produced by feeding the bees sugar as is often the case. It comes straight from the Pine trees of the mountains of Vytina, Greece"

I got two jars today.  I get it from the Eliki Olive Oil Company.  
They do a nice job packaging it.  I have never had a problem.

I take one tablespoon full and mix it with Ceylon cinnamon  ( Ceylon, or "true" cinnamon, has a much different flavor. It is less sweet, with a more complex, citrus flavor. The special flavor of English and Mexican sweets comes from Ceylon cinnamon.)  I get it from Penzey's Spices.

I started mixing the cinnamon with honey because a friend said it would help ease the arthritic pain in my shoulder.  I think it helps and even if it doesn't it is a great way to start the morning.

So I am a honey and cinnamon "snob" but there are some things that are worth it.  A person who settles for less than the best, even if it is just a spoonful of honey and cinnamon is missing one of life's little pleasures.

If you want to know more about honey click here.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I love that you're a "honey and cinammon snob"
made me smile

amazing RR pics
and of course Molly's post is always a delight
she and Miles smile a lot, must be because they know they are loved

Hope sends hugs
me too

Ur-spo said...

Honey does have its 'terrior'; i have some made from lavendar plants and it sure shows it.