Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Simple Gifts.

Some years ago I gave this game table to the Ames Historical Society.

My grandmother had it in her shop. I don't remember where she got it but my grandfather refinished it.  After he retired he refinished a  lot of furniture for my grandmother who sold them in her antique shop.

I liked the table but felt that it would be something I could give to the community.



This is one of two matching chairs that I also gave to the Society.  It belonged to the Underwood family.  My grandmother was an Underwood.  You really could not sit in them because they are somewhat fragile.  I thought they would look good in the museum.  They were thinking of getting rid if then but the decision was made that they could   risk the chair as a prop with a stereopticon, a quintessential Victorian item.  A small sign reads "Please do not sit in chair."




The Cole Family
 I also decided that the family pictures which were sitting in my basement really belonged to the community and they were given to the Society.  That way family members can visit them and use them (one cousin from out of town has already done this) and they are part of the heritage of the community.  I am glad they are there where they will be preserved.  You can click on them to see a larger version.
The Cole Girls
 The Underwoods.

My grandmother was an Underwood and my grandfather was Cole (Irish) and Gordon Clan (Scottish)  So I have always said I was Scotch, Irish and English on my mother's side.  My father's family came from Germany and originally were names Silmser.

In 1976 I got a letter from a company wanting to sell me a flag to fly during the Bicentennial.  They kindly informed me that the Simsers had been in the country since the Revolutionary War and I should send them $40 (or so) to let people know that the Simsers were a "Bicentennial Family."  I wrote them back and told them that I was indeed proud of my heritage but that it was the Coles and the Underwoods who had fought in the Revolutionary War on the side of the Colonies.  The Simsers were United Empire Loyalists who went to Canada following the war and then returned to this country in the 1800's.  I enjoyed writing that letter and I never heard from that company again.  Thanks for stopping by.  Hugs.


1 comment:

Harpers Keeper said...

Terrific vintage photos!. Only recently have I started exploring the old photos I have stashed away. I'm enjoying the experience.

Thanks for sharing