Thursday, August 23, 2012

Timesuck (I mean Timeline)

360 of your friends have signed up for timeline.
You now have timeline....(Get used to it.) 
(I have said some of this before but it is ok to repeat yourself when you are OLD) Ok folks,  I didn't ask for it.  I don't want it and I do not like it. In fact I am seriously considering deactivating my account.  It would be different if I had any choice but Facebook is acting like the Rebublithugs would if they got in power.  I can rant all I want on here and say what I want and they will be just like Mitt Rmoney who lies, looks over your shoulder and does not engage and then goes ahead and does what he wants.  Then walks away leaving you feeling powerless and unsatisfied.

Why do we have to have this?  If there is a reason tell us.  Why do I have to have my "life events" posted for everyone to see?  I am a private person.  Oh sure I blog and I write a lot of stuff but I do not share more than 1/10 of what is "me" - I don't want to and I don't have to.  Besides this is my blog I choose what goes up here.  ON FACEBOOK EVERY LIKE AND SHARE IS LISTED ON ONE SIDE OF THE COLUMN OR THE OTHER. The columns are such that if you post a picture they are cut off and if you have eyes like mine you have to enlarge the print in order to see it. And then you have to slide back and forth to see both sides of the damn thing.
Even if I wanted to use the timeline side it is filled up with crap that means nothing and there is no easy way to "fix it."  Why not give me a blank timeline and let me fill in what I want there with important life events I am willing to share?  So I have stopped posting, commenting and liking things.  I do share the Animal Rescue voting site and will link to an occasional blog post.  I did pick out a nice cover shot of the Leech Lake resort we used to go to but I have not been up there for 20 years.  I just like the picture.  BUT I do not like timeline and I do not like Facebook.  I have taken to stealing pictures from there and will share them on the blog, so if you want to "follow" me you will have to start reading my blog.
I am sure that I will write more over here since I will no longer be using the timesuck that is Facebook.   Here are a couple of things I found on Facebook.





3 comments:

John said...

The reason Facebook wants—and KEEPS—all that information is the very thing that will make Facebook profitable. They keep track of whom you visit, what you "like" and what you look at, and then tailor-make advertising directed specifically at you. Since they have all of your information, they can target advertisements quite specifically at you (in my case, male, single, in my 70s, Freemason, Iowan, etc., etc., etc.). Ever wonder where all those unsolicited electronic ads come from? It may—or may not—be Facebook. Amazon does the same thing, but at least they're up-front about it, and one doesn't discuss one's social life on Amazon. Usually.

Anonymous said...

Jay - does this mean you'll be using Twitter and Google+ more? Twitter is my Favorite. Google+ is a much better social network platform than Facebook, but with the problem that most of my friends aren't on it (yet). There are several features that I love with Google+, including how it syncs up so well with my phone for pics and things, and how you have so much control over who sees what posts. I've also found some databases that have helped me connect with other scientists from around the world I would not have heard of otherwise.

As for the FB timeline, it seems like their intent is to make it a living photo album. I don't really care what they know about me since I use ad-blocker anyway. It does bug me that every new concept Facebook does usually seems half-baked. Their phone app sucks too.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Nope, I am not using Google + or Twitter.. (I am not a twit) I will just retreat to my blog. I do read Facebook but have not been posting or sharing much.. I do like getting the picture from Google+ to my laptop but the whold "circles" thing is just confusing to this old fart.