Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Short Story

I went to the store a couple of weeks ago and among other things I purchased two canisters of coffee.  One French Roast and another smaller Brazilian.  

I bought a lot of groceries that day and filled several cloth bags with my purchases.  I got them home and unpacked some of them and put the other bags (unpacked) on the counter.

I used to get my coffee through the mail.  subscribing to Gevalia Coffee and I truly love their coffee.  However it got to be rather expensive so I decided to cut down somewhat and just get some Folgers.  Folgers is owned by the Smucker's Company who make Smuker jams and jellies and who have the motto.  "with a name like Smucker's it has to be good."  The original Smucker family were Christian Scientists, a church I used to belong to and still feel a closeness to the teachings.  (Funny they would buy a coffee company as CS aren't supposed to drink coffee.)

I ran out of the old coffee and looked around for the Folgers coffee.  I could not find it anywhere.  I unpacked the bags, no coffee.  I looked every place I could think of where they might be and no coffee.  So I called the grocery store and gave them the receipt number and details of the sale and asked if they would have any way of checking on what happened to my coffee.  He had me call back the next day to talk to the manager, which I did.

The manager told me to come in and pick up new coffee and I did and they did not charge me for it.  I got it home and opened up the small canister and made some coffee.

A few days (or maybe a week) later I was sitting on my chair and I turned to open the refrigerator.  I looked into the refrigerator and there at eye level was the original two canisters of coffee which I had placed in the refrigerator on a shelf still in the original bag and on the lower shelf where I would not have seen it while standing.  Embarrassing.

So Sunday when I went to the grocery store I took two coffee canisters off the shelf and took them to the cashier paid for them and then told her the story and had her put them back on the shelf.  The Universe is in balance again.

Since I am not sharing on Facebook right now I found this to share.

As I said.  They forced me to have Timeline and I don't like it.  If I had control over the Timeline half and could choose what goes there it would be different.  But I don't and I don't like it and I feel like the Republicans are in charge and I have no control of anything and they don't care.  So I am not posting there right now.

Happy Wednesday.  Hugs.

4 comments:

Harpers Keeper said...

We were in a restaurant last week and had a drink before dinner. The server put our drinks on the bill of the two women at the next table in error. They caught the mistake and the servier corrected it promptly. It gave us the chance for a pleasant conversation with our fellow diners. When our check came the server had not added the drinks to our bill. (Apparently he was having a bad day.) It took a couple minutes to flag him down and get the check adjusted so we could pay the appropriate amount. I always wonder, in cases like that, how many people would just have paid the check without notifying the server of his error; or, in your situation, just kept the coffee. It always feels good to do the right thing.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

I always feel that doing the right thing restores balance and that is important. Otherwise the world might tild and we would fall off :~)

Harpers Keeper said...

I agree with you about Facebook forcing people to Timeline. For what it's worth, I have found it to be not as bad as I feared. It took some time to go back and edit (delete or "hide") the things I didn't want in the Timeline (eg. every time I change my profile pic or "Like" something). Now I just hide them as soon as I do them. It is an extra step, which is annoying, and, of course, does not address the principal of them forcing it on everyone. I do like the cover photos however.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Correction - Otherwise the world might tilt and we would fall off