Monday, October 4, 2010

Black Tie

So our new Grand Master wants us to wear a tuxedo to his reception on Saturday. I used to enjoy putting on my Tux and did not mind fussing with the shirt studs and cuff links. I always liked wearing this attire.

Then I outgrew my Tux and it wasn't fun anymore. I need to lose weight but it isn't happening so Saturday I poured myself into my tux and went off to the Red Cross meeting.

Years ago I used to regularly split my trousers out and took to wearing black shorts so that if it happened it would not show. I also took a needle and thread along with me and because my mother somehow knew I would need the skill she made me learn how to sew on buttons and I learned how to stitch up inseams using the invisible stitch.

(I also learned how to cook and do laundry both skills I would need to have.)

Well anyway I had not split my pants for a long time. That is until last Saturday. And it was not in the usual place. It ran from the seam out underneath the pocket. Now I had just gotten another pair of tux pants but they are tighter than the old ones so I decided I needed to get a new tux. I did not think I would be able to get it by next Saturday for the Grand Master's Reception but as it turns out the good folks at the Men's Warehouse had a Tux and can have it ready for me to wear by Saturday. It is a good thing because I don't think the Grand Master would let me live it down if I showed up without a tux. He might strip me of my new Grand Master's pin (I have 4) and I would not like that.

For those interested here is a little history of the Tux stolen from Wikipedia:

Black tie dates from 1860, when Henry Poole & Co. (Savile Row's founders - just off Bond Street, historically London's high-end fashion shopping centre) created a short smoking jacket for the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII of the United Kingdom) to wear to informal dinner parties as an alternative towhite tie dress—the standard formal-wear. At that time, lounge suits were starting to be worn in the country, and the new dress code was an evening lounge suit intended for use in a relaxed atmosphere out of town.

In the spring of 1886, the Prince invited James Potter, a rich New Yorker, and his wife, Cora Potter, to Sandringham House, his Norfolk hunting estate. When Potter asked the Prince's dinner dress recommendation, he sent Potter to Henry Poole & Co., in London. On returning to New York in 1886, Potter's dinner suit proved popular at the Tuxedo Park Club; the club men copied him, soon making it their informal dining uniform. The evening dress for men now popularly known as a tuxedo takes its name from Tuxedo Park, where it was said to have been worn for the first time in the United States, by Griswald Lorillard at the annual Autumn Ball of the Tuxedo Club founded by Pierre Lorillard IV, and thereafter became popular for formal dress in America. Legend dictates that it became known as the tuxedo when a fellow asked another at the Autumn Ball, "Why does that man's jacket not have coattails on it?" The other answered, "He is from Tuxedo Park." The first gentleman misinterpreted and told all of his friends that he saw a man wearing a jacket without coattails called a tuxedo, not from Tuxedo.



You can read the entire
article here. I had no idea there was so much involved with wearing Black Tie.

That was it for today except for a brief visit to Costco where I got gas and butter and some breakfast bars. I also had a great lunch with Shane (lasagne) and we made some plans. All in all it was a very productive day. And I got some new cologne Bvlgari MAN. Nice clean scent. So I will look nicer and smell better. Thanks for stopping by. Give someone a hug. j

7 comments:

Ur-spo said...

that was splendid reading.
I like the Sunset Blvd approach to tuxes

"Won't wear a tux !"

"Of course not, dear,tuxedos are for waiters!"

John said...

It never ceases to gall me that people think "black tie" is somehow "formal." Genuine formal wear is comprised of a gray cutaway jacket and hickory-striped trousers during the daytime, and white tie and tailcoat after 5:00 p.m. Even the WORD "tuxedo" is an unfortunate colloquialism, as you point out so clearly. Don't even get me started on "gentlemen" who refuse to learn to tie their own bow ties, or who wear fraudulent, open-backed half-waistcoats! Cummerbunds, sketchy as they are, are preferable to the latter.

So there! Nobody ever said I wasn't opinionated!

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Well you got me. open back half waistcoat and phony tie is my preference.

DonM said...

I kinda like an open collar and jeans myself. Lord knows I have worn a tux enough, though. If you are going to wear long sleeves AND a full backed half waistcoat AND a jacket, and then insist on closing the top button so a tie, whether phony or tied on manually, then it damned well better be about 55°F in the room. That's why that kind of clothing was originated in a land with cold weather and poor heaters.

Oh well, I'll wear the long sleeves and the coat, but probably a phony tie and a backless vest. But you can bet that I will be wearing my cowboy boots underneath.

John said...

And Don's ABSOLUTELY right about why these rigs were invented in the first place! Any time I can avoid wearing a necktie I do, so when I MUST don such apparel, I'll wear a real one. Besides, real ones tend to fit better and be cheaper to buy.

Good heavens, I've become pompous in my dotage!

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

You are FAR from your dotage my friend. I have had a most interesting day today due to our e-mail conversation.

DonM said...

Actually, I have found that the "real" bow ties are more expensive than the phony ones. Regular four in hand neck ties are, or can be, pretty cheap. So why is the real bow tie so much more expensive than regular ones? They use 20% as much material. Yes, they are a bit trickier to sew together, but not that much.