Saturday, October 30, 2010

An Open Letter to Craig Ferguson

Craig,
I used to watch your show. Actually I still watch it. The difference is that now when you "pick on a Gay" I will turn it off. When you make a gay joke or gay innuendo you are fostering the culture of hate which leads to gay suicide. The children who are gay do not understand that you are a comedian or that you probably aren't really a homophobe but when you pick on an "easy" target you add to the acceptance of our society to bully these youngsters who only see that people don't like them. Perhaps you think they don't see your show but others do and what you are doing adds to the sick culture which has gotten us to the place where these kids hang themselves or jump off bridges.

Some years ago I stopped making certain types of jokes in my classroom when I discovered that the "Polish" jokes hurt the feelings of one of my students who was of Polish descent. I was insensitive but once it was pointed out to me I quit. You should also. I would not allow my students to make "retard" jokes and to your credit you don't do that either. I just wish you were more sensitive to those "gay" jokes that you can never seem to get through a show without doing. There are other ways to be funny.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

I agree Jay
overall Craig has gotten more insensitive in many areas
his ethnic accents are horrendous
I remember using one was what got Rosie O in so much trouble, the difference being she apologized and stopped

I'm losing patience and interest in Craig in many respects

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Thanks, I wondered if it was just me. Stephen Cobert is fast reaching the same place with me. I guess I will stop watching both of them.