Tuesday, October 12, 2010

General Hospital

My mother got me hooked on this show and when I taught school I used to tape it and watch it to unwind after a day with the kiddies. I have continued to watch it and you know, I am not sure why. Habit I guess. God knows I don't like it much right now.

It used to be fun with the Quartermaines as the dysfunctional rich family with Robert and Anna (WOW) as the super spies who had a great chemistry together. Anna getting married in a red dress was incredible fun. Luke was also a great character in the show and Anthony Geary plays him to perfection.

Luke being married to Tracy Q is currently the only "fun" thing on the show. The character of Sonny as played by Maurice Bernard currently has no redeeming characteristics for me. A self-indulgent mobster who justifies his actions by living in a fantasy world of being right all the time and misunderstood. And Mr. Bernard is not putting his best acting into his work right now. He stumbles through his lines and you wonder if he has even thought about them or if he is just mumbling them so he can get his paycheck. I know that mobsters in our world sometimes live for years without getting caught and they may be just like Sonny but that does not make them someone I want to watch. I wish they would catch him in something and throw him in jail where he can undergo a Christian Conversion, leave the Catholic Church which turns a blind eye to his machinations. Then he can come back on the show as a religious right evangelist who molests young people... Oh wait, that only happens in real life.

The scenes when Sonny rationalizes his behavior are boring.

Then there is Carley - Great actress at times and absolutely beautiful woman but there is only one description for her character screwed up. Again another self indulgent self serving character who claims to care only about her children but who certainly shows that she is mainly thinking only about herself.

Robin and Patrick???? What gives. I suppose the writers think it is boring to have a nice loving couple with a child who has a mother who is HIV positive but who is also only thinking of herself. Patrick messed up and Robin turns out to be an unforgiving witch who is willing to throw her family away because of one lapse on her husbands part. Then she is instrumental in bringing Brenda back on the show. Another character who is not very deep - The actress who plays her is a beauty and wreaks havoc where ever she goes - she has a history with Dominic and he is not telling his girl friend about it so there is probably another break-up in the works.

I guess it is mainly the writers who are at fault. They have forgotten how to have fun with the show. We used to have big shows where the characters put on shows for charity and where couples acted like they were having fun and/or hated each other and you knew they didn't . Now all that seems to be gone and I am pretty much getting to the point were I just don't care about this show any more.

I was also not pleased with the decisions to bring back Jonathan Jackson as Lucky. Or with replacing the actor who played Michael. Just not any real reason to do so and Jackson was/is not as good as the actor he replaced. He is not Anthony Geary but they are giving him a chance to play like he is. He went to Ireland and developed a crummy Irish accent and a girl friend who also has a crummy accent. Just not very good ones.

Enough. Feel free to disagree. Perhaps it is just the mood I am in.

No comments: