Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Opera at the Movies

Saturday is the first opera in this year's Live at the Met series.

The Opera is Das Reingold and here is what Wiki says:

Das Rheingold (The Rhine Gold) is the first of the four operas that comprise Der Ring des Nibelungen (The Ring of the Nibelung), by Richard Wagner. Das Rheingold was originally written as an introduction to the tripartite Ring; however, the cycle is generally regarded as composed of four individual operas.

It received its premiere at the National Theatre in Munich on 22 September 1869, with August Kindermann in the role of Wotan, Heinrich Vogl as Loge, and Karl Fischer as Alberich. Wagner had wanted this opera to be premiered as part of the entire cycle, but he was forced to allow the performance at the insistence of his patron King Ludwig II ofBavaria. The opera received its premiere as part of the complete cycle on 13 August 1876, in the Bayreuther Festspielhaus.

You can see the trailer and read the Met article here:
http://www.themetoperaonthebigscreen.com

I am looking forward to it but I will have to see it on the 27th for the Encore presentation as I have a prior commitment on Saturday. I guess the anticipation will make it that much sweeter.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

I am wetting my pants and excitement! I so want to look forward to seeing this!