Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Harry Connick, Jr.



What an incredible musician! This is the second time I have had the privilege to attend a live performance of this fantastic musician and his orchestra (or as he calls it his band). From the first trumpet solo to the encore of four musicians sitting around his Steinway playing my favorite song from one of his new albums (I have both) I was in New Orleans Heaven.

I have also had the good fortune to have been to New Orleans twice and if there is one thing that New Orleans is it is music.

Harry Connick, Jr. said that he was very comfortable playing at C.Y. Stephens. He has played there so often that it feels like his living room. Of course, "being a huge celebrity," he said, "his living room was larger than the auditorium."

I was in the second row on the right hand side and that was close enough to see the faces of the musicians. I am sure that they put a lot of time into their preparation but the neat thing about watching them was that they did not make it seem like work. They were having fun. The energy level did not drop at all during the entire evening. They were still moving and dancing at the end of the almost two hours of continuous playing (no intermission) as if they were just starting.

I don't really like the auditorium because it is a little difficult for me with my bum foot to get around and there are places without railings but if you get there early enough it isn't a problem. I took my ritual book along to study while I was waiting for the show to start.

Stephens has a new policy. They sell coffee, wine, popcorn, etc and you are allowed to take it in with you. There was a letter to the editor complaining about it in tonight's paper. I didn't find that a problem but I was upset with the people who walked in after the show had started and pushed past me getting to their seats. I guess they did not know the show started at 7:30. (Actually more like 7:40) I find that rude and if I were running the theater they would have to sit in special seating like the last two rows. But then I can be an old grump.

Anyway it was a wonderful evening and I am glad I went. Stay warm and be happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.