Tuesday, April 10, 2007

They Let Me In!

Tonight I was elected a dual member of Acanthus Lodge. I have been going down on Mondays as you know if you have been reading this blog and tonight they let me in. I had to go out in the other room to sit while they balloted but it all worked out and I was elected.

The ballot box is a very special thing. In the Maosnic Lodge one person can keep someone from becoming a member of the Lodge. (except in the case of a dual member when it takes a few more) The term for a person kept out is to have been blackballed. To me it is an important device and it should never be misused. I have seen it done a couple of times but it doesn't usually happen as we are careful in our membership. The ballot box is for me an affirmation that we are allowing someone to become a Brother among us. Everyone gives their consent and then the initiation is the actual process whereby he joins and becomes a Mason.

So in reality it is part of the acceptance process and not (generally) an exclusionary one. There was applause when I came back in the room and I felt really welcome. After the meeting several of the members came up and congratulated me. I feel very honored.

It was also fun to go to Christopher's afterward to socialize with the officers and members. All in all a very special evening. Stay warm and Be Happy!

1 comment:

Larry said...

Congrats Jay, I know this is something that you really wanted!!