Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thinking about God

Today I attended a funeral for one of our Lodge Brothers. He had been a fireman and the fire chief gave a wonderful eulogy. He used one of Jim's favorite poems. It is entitled The Dash Poem by Linda Ellis and you can read it by clicking here.

The minister did not know Jim personally so he preached a sermon on "someone he did know - Jesus Christ." I found much to think about because of what he said. Much I did not find something I could accept. To me God as Father means that he loves us with a Father's love. All of his creation in all time and not just a select few. In the first chapter of Genesis it says that God created man in his own image. Male and female created he them... and then it says that he beheld everthing that He had made was "very good." So while we may fall short humanly - spiritually I think he accepts and loves us unconditionally.

Jim was one of our Past Masters and we had a Masonic funeral service at the grave site. I was the master for the ceremony and I know his wife appreciated the service. She has been a long time friend from Eastern Star and they had moved to Branson, Missouri after Jim's retirement and had moved back to Ames last year. I find these harder to do when I have known the Brother but the message is one of hope and I am proud to be able to do it for the Brother and his family.

Then this evening I met a new friend. Shirley Paulson is in Ames to deliver a Christian Science Lecture to the College of Seniors class at Iowa State University. She has a Web site here. This vivacious, vital woman felt the need to go to a seminary (Methodist) to learn how to talk to others about Christian Science. She was very interesting and the conversation flowed throughout dinner at the Gateway and she gave me a lot to think about and some leads to study.

It has become obvious to me over the years that most people do not understand Christian Science and are usually prejudiced against us. I personally find it a wonderful religion and it has helped me through many, many problems over the years. It is refreshing to me to learn that she is searching for ways to hold conversations about Christian Science with liberal and conservative Christians.

The pastor at the funeral used a piece of scripture in his remarks which we use at the end of every Christian Science service. As I listened to him speak about it I realized that he heard the words he was reading in a very different manner than we do when we use it is our Church. I am encouraging Mrs. Paulson to write a book about "Conversations" On her Web Site she has a series of podcasts with a Presbyterian minister friend of hers. I am looking forward to listening to them.

All in all this was a day where I was led to think more about God and my relationship with him. I look forward to further pondering. I think we see God in each other. I wrote a poem about it several years ago. I share it with you here.

The Smile

The man was struggling with his bicycle outside the store.
His face grimaced as he tried to get his clumsy hands to work.
A homely face – wrinkled with evidence of years of struggle as he tried to cope with an unwieldy world.


You could tell he was used to being ignored.
Most look away from such a face.

But today I didn’t look away.
I grabbed his eyes with mine,
We looked at each other and I sent a smile his way.

The gratitude of his returning smile brightened my day
Later as I drove away I realized that in that awkward, homely smile
I had seen God’s face.


It is still chilly outside, Stay warm and be happy.

1 comment:

Larry said...

I was planning on attending the masonic funeral and got busy at work and completely lost track of time.