Tuesday, April 24, 2007

TV


I had decided to blog about TV tonight and while looking for an image I found out that this is national turn off TV week. I guess that is all right but I am not turning off my TV. I am selective about what I watch anyway (yeah right!) but I enjoy it and it is entertainment.

I get tired of TV and I don't have it on all the time. I know some people who have their TV sets on all the time. I suppose it is for company. I know some people who leave their TV on when they have company. To me that is just plain rude. I go out after Lodge in Des Moines to a place which has a giant TV on the wall. I try to sit with my back to the TV because I find it distracting. I notice that some of the Brothers inevitably are watching the TV. It pulls you in. (Especially if there is a Hooters Beauty pageant or baseball game on the screen.)

I much prefer to watch a show by myself or with one other person when that is the main activity. I have been known to multi-task with the TV on because either the multi-task is mindless such as folding or stuffing envelopes or the TV program is really mindless and I am not really paying attention to it. I used to be able to read a book and watch TV at the same time.

I really like some shows. Boston Legal is probably my favorite. It is "off the wall" at times but it is articulate and it brings up some of the same issues that I think about. I also like The Daily Show and the Colbert Report. There are some good dramas on that I enjoy also NCIS and the Law and Order CSI shows come to mind. I am really looking forward to The Closer when it comes back on.

There are also some which have lost me. Medium is one of the ones that I no longer watch. I used to enjoy it but lately it has just lost me. Heroes also fits into this category.

TV also is a picture of the people who are running or trying to run our country. When you see some of them you can just see the patronizing or the rudeness and I just can't support them.

The News channels are just nothing as far as I am concerned. They have become personality driven repetitious and they drive me up the wall. I used to go visit friends and we would watch the CNN channel and it was good. I enjoyed the idea that I could see things that were happening all over the world. That has all changed. I get my news from the Internet and from Newspapers.

The most important part of the TV is the remote. I have lost one of the remotes. Fortunately it is the one for the Bedroom TV. I really like the looks of the Hitachi 42 inch TV my friends have but it is way more expensive than I am willing to pay.

I guess I will have to stop blogging now. David Letterman just came on and I have a book to read.

Rain all day - April Showers you know. I am ready for the May flowers. Stay warm.

No comments: