Monday, April 30, 2007

Telephones and Random Rants


I am not crazy about telephones. One of the things that annoys me is that people think they can call you any time they want and you should answer. I have friends who never answer their phone. They just let it go to voice mail. I should do that. My mother would leap up at the sound of the telephone and make a dash for it.

Another annoyance is the business person who is waiting on me as a paying customer and leaves me to answer a telephone. I have been known to walk away and they lose the sale.

People driving down the road on cell phones are a danger to everyone on the road. The ones who walk around talking loudly on their cells are just annoying.

I don't like to talk on the phone. One of my former students calls me up and while I would enjoy visiting with her she seems to always call when I am right in the middle of watching a show.

I did put myself on the "do not call" registry and that helped but I still get annoying political or charitable solicitations. I just respond that "I don't respond to telephone solicitation" and hang up. I know they are just making a living so I do try to be cordial... That is the word my Aunt Fran used when she had to speak to someone she didn't like.

Today the Neilson people called me and I did say that I would be a Neilson family and let them know what I was watching for a week on TV. That is going to be done by e-mail so it should be all right. The best way to get in touch with me is by e-mail as I usually answer that and check it often.

Refund
My cousin Tracy suggested that I see if I could get an NEA discount on my computer. I called the Apple Store and after going through their menu I got through to someone and yes I was eligible even though I was retired. So before I went to Acanthus I made a trip out to Costco to get gas and then went and got my discount. $166. Thanks Tracy.

I already save a lot on my car and home insurance through Member Benefits. It is great to belong to the greatest Union in the world. Those menus that you have to push are also annoying. I made a mistake and called the Credit Union before they opened. I had made a deposit and the girl put the money in the wrong account so it had to be transferred and I couldn't do it from home banking. Their menu of available responses is particularly annoying.

Acanthus Dinner and being "ditched"
They had a dinner to honor the Shrine Potentate tonight. He is a Past Master of Acanthus so the place was filled with members and ladies. I enjoyed my dinner (especially the peach cobbler) and the company immensely but I was disappointed that all of the officers took off and "ditched" me after Lodge. I tried calling my friend to see where everyone was but he is the one who doesn't answer his phone so I just came home early. Very disappointed and not nearly as much fun.

The Secretary down there told me I need a hobby. It seems he read my blog until 1:30 in the morning. (It is not for nothing that I subtitled this "the most boring blog on the Internet.") I guess there must have been something interesting in it for him to spend that much time reading it. I used to write poetry but for the past few years the muse has not hit me. Therefore, I decided to blog. One, it gives me an outlet. Living alone I have no one to complain to. Two, my sister moved to Missouri and this gives her a chance to keep up on what is happening in my life. I do like it that there are so many hits on the counter but no one really ever comments. So, except for the occasional jab I don't know if anyone really likes my blog or not. Some friends do mention it to me.

Anyway it is fun.

Jon came over to let the dogs out but since I was home he didn't have to. He cut his finger again.

It was 88 degrees today. Too hot. Supposed to be cooler tomorrow -The June bugs are back.
Whenever I hear them I get a creepy feeling. When Ginny was a baby we went on a picnic one June. I know that there were June bugs on the fried chicken and I ate some. Ugh - Be Happy.

No comments: