Sunday, April 8, 2007

Way of the Peaceful Warrior



Dan Millman wrote this book in 1980. One of my students Jonathan (now Yanni) Ackerman gave it to me to read and I loved it. It is described as "A book that changes lives." I, of course, had to give it back to him so I have not re-read it. However when Ginny moved to Kansas City she gave me a gift certificate for the Unity bookstore and I found the book there. I have it on my shelf.

I was excited to learn that it is now a motion picture and you can read about it here. It gets mixed reviews but I loved it. Not only for the spiritual message which I think is an important one but because it starred a new and improved Nick Nolte. I have followed Nick's career over the years because he was a grade school classmate of mine. I wrote about him when I was in the hospital and my friend Dennis Wendell with the Ames Historical Society has it on their web site here. Not great writing but it is fun to have a celebrity who you remember from going to school with him 60 years ago. Actually I liked his mom a lot and would talk to her from time to time. She was a neat lady and I enjoyed our brief visits. Anyway, he looks really good in the movie and I am glad to see that he is living "here and now and with joy." I know he has enjoyed his journey.

Easter was quiet. My plans to go to Des Moines didn't pan out so I went out to the flying Burrito and saw Jonathan who was working today and then went to the movie. Very satisfying and enjoyable.

I had a comment on the bolg today and it was really nice to hear from a woman in Massachusetts who was googling Craig Ferguson and found my blog. She said she enjoyed my writing and had been reading it for an hour. Her comment follows the poem My Closet if you want to read it. I wonder if Craig Ferguson will find it. He is always talking about how he is googling himself.

It is still chilly here people, Think warm thoughts and be happy. j

No comments: