Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lawyers and my Will

Some time ago I wrote a Will. I named someone my executor and he said he would do it for me. As things go several years later I changed my mind about some things. One of the things I did not change my mind about was the fact that I did not want a funeral. My cousin (who was going to be my executor) kindly informed me that after I was gone they would do what they wanted.

My great aunt was an Episcopalian and she had requested no service also. She had her reasons and I have mine. My father's second wife told me that her son (a minister) had held a graveside service at the time of her committal. This was not right! Whatever her reasons her wishes should have been followed.

I do not like funerals. In my church we do not hold funerals. There can be a Christian Science service at the funeral home but I am not fond of this type of event. So I requested only a Masonic memorial service or no service. That is my desire. So I decided to make some changes in my Will (key word here people is MY) I asked someone else to be my executor. So I wrote my lawyer with my new wishes and the new executor. I had forgotten something so I telephoned him and his response was that he had it on his "to do" pile. Now I had asked him to begin making these changes last summer and nothing had been done so I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I took my old will and opened a new document. I then proceeded to type the old will into this document making the changes I wanted as I went along. I had it edited for typos and printed it off. Then I took it to the Credit Union to get it witnessed and notarized and they kindly informed me that I would have to bring in my own witnesses. So I called the business office at the Ames Schools and they notarized my will and two of my friends witnessed it. So it is all signed and in my safe deposit box.

My great-grandfather Underwood was a lawyer so I guess I was "channeling" him. My grandmother always wanted me to be a lawyer. Perhaps I would have more money if I had become one but I kind of like it that I was a teacher.

I also want to be cremated. At one time I thought about having my ashes divided up into vials and given out at the funeral and asking people to take them with them on their vacation and spread them where ever they happened to go that year. But as far as I am concerned they can be dumped in the Skunk river or buried at the cemetery.

My grandmother taught me a valuable lesson about death. Her brother Carrol had died in California and his body was brought back here for burial. As we were walking away from the grave after a short graveside service she made the remark "That's not him in there!" That concept has stuck with me. My grandmother was not a Christian Scientist but she had a copy of Science and Health and I think realized that there was a lot of truth in it. "Man is not material, he is spiritual." I believe we go right on to the next level of existence and the lessons we don't learn here in earth we will continue to learn.

Be Happy! j

No comments: