Sunday, April 15, 2007

Random Rants

Religious expression

You know, I am pretty religious. I believe in God and I believe that He communicates with us by nudges or angel thoughts which come to us when we need it but I don't believe that Jesus plays golf with us. Of course, I guess he could but he didn't carry a golf club as the Scots hadn't invented it yet. Some guy from Iowa won the Master's Golf Tournament last Sunday (Easter) and I am glad for him. Why, oh why, did he have to go on record that he "felt" Jesus right there beside him when he was finishing the course? And he is not the only one. Athletes and others are always screaming "Thank you Jesus" when they win something.

I just don't believe it! I go back to when Jesus said "Woe unto you Scribes and Pharisees" and went on to tell them that "they had their reward" -- they were the ones standing on the street corners telling everyone to look at them to see how pious they were. I get irritated by these folks and also by T-shirts and bumper stickers purporting to tell me that "When the Rapture comes, this car will be driver less."

I also think that answering machine messages telling me to leave a message and "God Bless You" fit into this category. I think these people want us to believe they are righteous and holy and many times they are not. I see evangelists who tell us to "come to Jesus" and to "hate the sin but love the sinner" who would just as soon kill the sinner. I really think they are in for a big surprise when they pass to the next level of awareness.

My mother had a deep faith. She did not always go to church but she always treated others as she would have wanted to be treated. I never remember her putting any one down. I never remember her calling anyone a name. Her parents were like that also. They lived their faith. They didn't wear it on their shirtsleeves. I try to be that way also but I fall short. I am grateful to God for everything I have experienced and have been given. But I try to express it quietly. I wish others would also.

#2
Letters to the Editor
I generally look these over and I have noticed that there are certain people who just have to write their thoughts and get them in the Newspaper - over and over again. I like to express my opinions also and have found that putting them in this blog has almost completely gotten rid of my need to send a letter to the Editor. Besides the dumb editor never put them in the paper either. Perhaps more people should try it. Very therapeutic.

#3
2 Cents worth
That a column in the paper where people can call in and leave short one line (usually pithy) comments on just about anything. They are kind of fun and they are anonymous so you never know who it was that said something so you just have to call in and respond. It is kind of fun.

#4
TV -
There is so much junk on TV that it is easy to skip watching things. I think in my case it is just habit. Be that as it may be I do love Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, NCIS, Boston Legal (especially), Numbers, Criminal Minds and The Closer. I really don't like the reality shows that put people on and give them things just to watch them cry. I think Judge Judy has a terrible ego and she is uncivil to those in her courtroom. I like Rosie but I liked her better on her own show. I wish I were able to watch Torchwood but I am too cheap to get BBC America. Also the Tudors (Showtime) or Rome. I did rent the first season of Rome and will rent the second when it comes out on DVD.)

#5
Movies
There have been some really good movies this past year. I love going to movies. (Always sit on the back LEFT.) However there is a lot of just junk out there but I don't go to them so it doesn't bother me.

I guess that is enough for me for today. It was a beautiful day. I had a very productive time of it. I have 112 letters addressed and ready to go. Went to Lodge practice and of course read Second Reader at Church. I'm happy - You be that way also. j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.