Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Secretary's Day and Random Musings


My friend Bob Kelly took this picture and sent it to me for Secretary's Day since he knew I was a secretary. I think it is an absolutely beautiful picture. You can see more of his pictures at his Blog, Bob's Photo Adventures. He is a very creative photographer and I have "stolen" several of his pictures to use as backgrounds for my ever changing desktop.

I went to Des Moines (again) today to the Des Moines High Twelve Club meeting.  I was curious about the High Twelve Club. I got to sit with some of the guys from Acanthus and I enjoyed myself.


When the politicians who spend millions of dollars to get elected to a #150,000. a year job, look you in the eye and tell you something you don't have to believe them. Don't worry I am not that naive. I didn't believe them anyway.

Speaking of politicians. I am really not enthusiastic about any of them. John McCain announced today that he was running for President. I watched him on The Daily Show last night. He was rude, and argumentative and no way would I vote for him. I told someone that I really didn't want any of them to win. If they want to be President I don't want them in there.

Mitt Romney appealed to me for awhile. I liked the fact that he had saved the Utah Winter Olympics. However he has changed his tune to appeal to the conservative element and so I don't trust him. I guess I will sit it out to see who it all shakes down to and when they make their nominations I will decide. Rudy looked good in a dress but I am not sure he has a chance to get to the Oval Office. Fred Thompson was number 3 on the poll on AOL and I found that amazing. I know he was a Senator but I don't particularly like his character on Law and Order.

I guess that John Edwards is my front runner but his hair looks too good to be real.

One thing that irritated me at the high Twelve meeting was the table grace. To me a table grace should be a time to give thanks for the food we are about to eat, the chance to come together to be in a fraternal way. This was a sermonette about how we need to get God back in the schools. I just get upset with those who think that it is all right to post religious doctrine in the schools and claim that this will solve all of societies problems. America is a multi-cultural society and that is what makes it great (if it still is after Bush has trashed us all over the world) the idea that all of us fit together in a kind of crazy quilt which is beautiful and comforting. All of the religions should be respected and if (so-called) Christians have their way we will have prayer and Bible readings in the school and those who are Muslim or Jewish or Hindu or Wicca or some other religion will not be respected. I think that religious instruction is good but it belongs in the home and in the church not in the public school.

Both yesterday and today when I drove down and back to Des Moines I drove in rain. Not gentle rain but hard driving rain. Now we have flood watches out. Some of the creeks were out of their banks. I was reminded of the Floods of 93.. I remember them well. I had been to the Iowa Research Lodge # 2 meeting and had met S. Brent Morris
who was the speaker and author of the book "A Radical In The East" which the Lodge published that year. It is being re-issued as the book for last year and the book for this year is Chris Hodapp's Solomon's Builders. Research Lodge is the best bargain in Freemasonry and you can join for only $15.00.

I also got into a discussion about Capital Punishment (I am against it) - all in all it was a very stimulating meeting.

No comments: