Friday, September 28, 2007

An Evening at StageWest


The Mission Statement of the StageWest Theater Company says:

StageWest seeks to increase the understanding and enjoyment of life, society, and the world through the presentation of contemporary theatre. We strive to cultivate new opportunities for artists and audiences in Central Iowa to experience the diverse world of American and World Theatre. StageWest aspires to a continuing pursuit of artistic excellence and seeks to make the story of the play become the experience of the audience.


They certainly have met their mission with this production. I attended the Friday Evening performance. Their web site describes the production thus:

"South Park meets Desperate Housewives!"
New York Sun

There's a new tenant in Armadillo Acres, and she's wreaking havoc all over Florida's most exclusive trailer park!

The doublewide divas of this fine housing establishment have survived everything from kidnapping to no-good men to (the horror!) bad perms.

But when Pippi, a "stripper on the run," comes between agoraphobic housewife Jeannie and her tollbooth collector husband, a storm begins to brew that will shake these manufactured homes right down to their mobile foundations. All this and there's SINGIN' too!

WARNING: This musical contains tacky outfits, bad wigs, crude language, adultery, road kill, electrocution and spray cheese, everything a musical should be!

I will not attempt to review the musical. You can read the Des Moines Register review by clicking here.

Instead I will tell you about my experience tonight. First of all I did go to Chef's Inn for Steak DeBurgo and a Chocolate Cookie, then down to the theater to pick up tickets. I sat in the car for awhile and then went inside to watch the people. The Civic Center had Tyler Perry performing and so there were a lot of people to watch. One woman sitting near me knew everyone who walked by. Her infectious laughter and warm greeting was fun to watch.

I began to notice that there were a number of teachers from the Ames Middle School there. One of the teacher's daughter (Brianne Magel) was in the show. It was fun to see her and to catch up. She warned me that her daughter's first line was "It's so hot, I'd give my left tit for a pool." (or close to that). I began to get ready for a fun evening. I was not disappointed. (P.S. Her daughter is very good.)

Because I am a season ticket holder I was able to go in early to be seated. The set was not elaborate. It was set in a trailer park in Florida after all. Two trailers, a trash can. bushes (with the band behind it) and some folding chairs. Simple but adequate.

The lights went down and the actors came out and took their places. (No curtain, stage or proscenium). I wish I could remember the first line, it was hilarious, raunchy and funny. The actors were all talented. I thoroughly enjoyed myself during the entire evening. I could not be more pleased. The list of songs will give you an idea about the show:

  • This Side of the Tracks
  • One Step Closer
  • The Buck Stops Here
  • It Doesn't Take a Genius
  • Owner of My Heart
  • Flushed Down the Pipes
  • But He's Mine/It's Never Easy
  • That's Why I Love My Man
  • Panic
All of them were fun and kept my toes tapping.

The show was originally scheduled through October 7 but the following announcement is on the Web Site. PERFORMANCES ADDED FOR "TRAILER PARK" OCT. 12 & 13

The best deal is the Season Ticket but you can also get tickets for single shows by going to the StageWest Web site.

I may go again. If anybody wants to go, I'll go with you.

Huge Hugs, jcs

No comments: