Saturday, September 1, 2007

September


September used to be the seventh month, In Latin Septem means "seven" and September was the seventh month until 153 BC. September has 30 days. It marks a beginning and an end. The beginning of the school year and in some places (the Northern tier of states) the beginning of Fall and the end of summer although we can still have some hot days at least the nights are getting cooler. It is nights like this that makes me wish I had a bed on the porch. I probably couldn't sleep out there anyway because the dogs would bark and the neighbor is culling down the big bushes on the south side of my property (actually the bushes are on his property) and while I am in favor of cutting down Bushes this one will diminish my privacy.

There is a lot going on in September as evidenced by the calendar printed in today's De Moines Register. I probably won't attend much of anything on the list. The one that really would interest me would be the Renaissance Fair.

September's birthstone is the Sapphire.

One September event is my nephew's birthday. Jonathan turns 25 next Tuesday. I'd congratulate him here but he doesn't read my blog so there would be no point. If you want to send him a birthday e-mail his address is: joncolej@gmail.com. I am not sure how much he reads his e-mail but you can try anyway. He is a good kid (guy) and he might get a kick out of it. This completes the cycle I start every year. I turned 65, Mother would have been 95, Ginny 55 and Jon 25. It makes it easy to keep track of things.

Wikipedia has this bit of Trivia about September that I find interesting.
World War II started on September 1, 1939 with Adolf Hitler's invasion of Poland. It ended on September 2, 1945 with Japan's formal surrender.
September 11 is a day that will be forever etched in the world's memory. The video below commemorates that event.



And for those who want to remember a different "kind of September" Here is Ed Ames at Age 80 singing "Try to Remember." Beautiful



Be loved. Hugs, jcs

No comments: