Monday, September 24, 2007

"With a View of a Sky that Stops"

In his book/short story "A Christmas Memory" Truman Capote used the line quoted above. He and his elderly cousin live together with relatives (who generally ignore them) and the story is a beautiful tale of their life just around Christmas and how they prepare/celebrate it. I am not sure when I first read the story but it touched several things in me and for years I took about 45 minutes to read it to my class each year. There is not much religion in it so I could get away with it. The line that It connected them with a world that was larger than their window "with a view of a sky that stops" always touched me and I usually stopped, paused to let it sink in and read the line again. It put a beautiful image in my mind.

I have been more fortunate than Capote's cousin in that I have traveled and I love to do so. I especially like driving places. But that is not what this is about. This is about the Internets (Yeah, I know there is no "s" on the end. I just like to put one there.) The Internets connect me to that world with the larger view of the sky. I discovered Google Reader (thanks Ken) and it means that now I can check the blogs with much more speed. One of them I read is the Chicagoist.

It tells about happenings in Chicago where I used to love to go but haven't been for years. One of the posts told about a man and his dog. The dog was named Reba and it was lost/stolen or strayed. The man was not homeless but he didn't have much. Just the dog and the love between them. Their picture is above. Well he was devastated and he did not have the resources to do much about it. The love between this man and his dog was very important. People became aware of what had happened. Denise Coping set up a blog to chronicle the events of the missing dog. I stole the picture from there.

Anyway Reba was returned to him this week-end. Because of the Internets I knew about it. I doubt it was covered here in Ames, Iowa in any of the Media. I also found this poster on the internet.
It doesn't necessarily apply to this story but it kind of relates. All of the people who helped (gave their love) to them can be content that Love grew in their hearts.

I love searching the Internet for things that interest me. I steal shamelessly from there to build this Blog. I don't apologize. If I put something up here that someone wants off I will take it down. I can always use Google Image to find another. So, that's it for this post. The internet connects me to things in the world that I would never have known about and also allows me to keep my mind active and hopefully entertain my readers. Do you know I actually had 75 hits in one day. The counter says that I have 7463 hits since February. That is incredible. Thanks for reading. Big Hugs, jcs

No comments: