Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Rest of the Story.


Tim Bonney writes

"...that there are a myriad of ways that a Mason can explore further interests and further light to his hearts content but, also at times to his hearts distraction. Because, when you get down to it, the most important thing in Freemasonry is the three Craft degrees and the local Craft lodge. It is the foundation on which the entire superstructure of Masonry is built. Without the Ancient Craft lodges there is no Freemasonry."
I don't disagree with that but I will go out on a limb here and say that I think the three degrees of the Symbolic Lodge are incomplete. (I may get blasted for that) They are unfinished!

The degrees of Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft and Master Mason do not tell the entire story that needs to be told. In order to get the complete picture one must seek light, more light, further light and yet even light beyond the light.

We end the story of the Third Degree on a note of sorrow. Something is lost, someone has died. While the promise is held out that "future generations" will find it there is no guarantee and it has been lost. The Craft have been given substitutes. The story is unfinished. I don't remember thinking about this when I got my three degrees and in fact I did not explore further into Masonry until later in my Masonic career. I was content with what I had been given. Many people are satisfied with substitutes.

Later I was asked to join and did join the York Rite. Beyond that I also joined the Scottish Rite and yet other Masonic Organizations and groups. The Symbolic Lodge remains the heart of my Freemasonry but it would be diminished if I had not gone beyond this threshold of Freemasonry. This is particularly true of the York Rite and the Chapter of Royal Arch Masons in particular.

Two degrees in the Royal Arch fill in blanks and give me necessary additional information to complete the story. In the Mark Master, originally a part of the Fellowcraft degree, the Mason learns valuable lessons. He works in the quarries and exhibits specimens of his work and he learns a valuable lesson of accepting that which may seem to be unusual or valueless because of a peculiar shape or form as it may turn out to be the most important part of the whole. In the Royal Arch Degree the Temple had been destroyed is being rebuilt. During the work of preparing for the rebuilding that which was lost was found. A joyous occasion and one that really completes the story.

The rest of the York Rite fills in the blanks and increases our knowledge so I really do consider that these degrees are an integral part of Freemasonry and I urge people to take them and to participate in them. They add to your knowledge and give you more to build on.

I do not think that you can ever complete your Masonic studies. I think that when the Master tells the new Mason that he is "not yet a Master Mason" he is speaking truth. I am not sure that you ever truly finish. Masonry is a search for light throughout one's entire life. There is always something more to learn. For some the road is paved with the Ritual. (But don't think that just because you have memorized the words you know everything there is to know about the ritual.) The ritual is like an onion. It contains layer upon layer and you will never totally absorb all of the lessons it has to offer.

For others the path to enlightenment is service. There are myriads of opportunities for service through the Masonic Fraternity and I applaud those who choose to help their fellow human beings by assisting others. Opportunities are there for serving the brotherhood and indeed, all of humanity through the pillar of charity.

For others study and contemplation mark the roadway to further light. No less a person than Albert Pike continued his thinking and questioning and study of Masonry up until the moment he passed. He came to many conclusions adn asked many more questions. I am not recommending "Morals and Dogma" but rather, "Esoterika" as a path to his thinking.

I will admit that while I have been a member of the Scottish Rite for 31 years I have not attended or participated in the degrees as much as I have the York Rite. I am sure that there is a lot there for those who do participate but I have just never been able to devote the time to it that it requires as it takes two week-ends and even then you do not get to see all of the degrees. Some of them are very impressive and for those who have the time and money I recommend taking them. However, to me the York Rite and in particular the Royal Arch Chapter are so much a part of the Symbolic Lodge that we might just as well admit them to be vital to understanding Freemasonry.

In many places there is a resurgence of the York Rite with degrees being presented one or two at a time with time to think about the work and what you saw. In other places the work is done in one day. Either way the work is worth it and it fills in a lot of blanks. I highly recommend that every Master Mason continue his Masonic Education by joining and participating in the York Rite of Freemasonry... The Rest of the Story.

No comments: