Thursday, September 20, 2007

Two Heroes

Sherry Allen is a very brave lady and her husband Bob is one of my heroes. Bob is a Past Grand High Priest of Iowa and has done a lot of work in Masonry. I would probably have never known them if not for Masonry.

Several years ago Sherry began to have trouble walking and was diagnosed with MS. Since then her body has been slowly suffering the ravages of this disease. But Sherry’s spirit has grown and she has never given up. Those of us who know her admire and love her for who she is and for the battle she fights.

Bob has been her helper and has been her principal caregiver and I admire him for his dedication and love.

This summer has been a rough one for the Allen’s. First Sherry had a heart attack. Now you have to know that Sherry has been in a reclining wheel chair for several years and Bob is the one who helps her in and out of her bed and chairs and all of the other duties that go along with this illness. Then a sore on her leg would not heal because of poor circulation and she has just had her leg amputated.

At the York Rite meeting last night the Companions wanted to do something for her as she was due to return home from the hospital so a discussion was held, a motion was made and action was taken

As per the instructions of the York Rite I went to the Stam Chocolatarie on Main Street and purchased a large box of chocolates. I am not sure who is going to eat them but it's a big enough box so that they both can have some.

I had telephoned ahead so they were expecting me. I had a nice visit with Bob and Sherry. She is doing great and is much relieved to have the pain gone from the sore that was on her leg. They are having a little problem with the shifting since her "stump" (as she put it) was hard to keep her in her sling. While I was there her son from Boston called and they had a nice chat.

I picked up a card and wrote "sweets for a sweet lady" as Doug described her at last night’s meeting. Sherry has never given up and she is an inspiration to all of us. And as I said Bob is one of our heroes. We are keeping them both in our thoughts.

So if you want to visit she is up for it but I would call first to make sure she isn't napping and if you want to send her a note Bob’s e-mail address is rdallen68@msn.com I am sure he will print them off and give them to her.

No comments: