Friday, November 23, 2007

Brotherhood


I have been bothered of late by the way I see Masons treat each other. I belong to two Masonic "lists" and the "discussions" on the lists regularly devolve into sniping at one another and complaining. One of the lists is affiliated with a research society and the other is one which includes all sorts of Masonic affiliations, men and women.

They are both interesting but at times emotions run high. They regularly have discussions which are "stopped" by the list administrators. Perhaps it is ego getting in the way. When you think you are right (all the time) you can become condescending.

I see it happen in Lodges also. I have even been on the receiving end of some non-brotherly behavior. I have probably been on the other side of it also, I am not perfect. Far from it. In my defense I can only say that I am here to learn to improve myself in Masonry. I am still a work in progress.

I know, at times, I have been tempted to withdraw from a lodge or a "list" because of the behavior I see there. I usually don't because the vast majority of the brothers are decent, honorable men who exhibit brotherly love and I would hate to lose my association with them.

However, I am close at times to just saying the H*^& with it. If I am not wanted and I can't be treated with respect I shall just leave and go elsewhere. I think it bothers me more when I see others that I care about being treated disrespectfully than it does when I am on the receiving end. Neither behavior is very brotherly.

I found some non-masonic things on the web about brotherly behavior:

I will know and understand the ideals expressed in our Fraternity Ritual and will strive to incorporate them in my daily life.

I will respect the dignity of all persons; therefore, I will not physically, mentally, psychologically, or sexually abuse or haze any human being.

I will protect the health and safety of all human beings.
Also:

There are four rules that all brothers are expected to follow as participants on the listserve: 1) No personal attacks 2) No Ritual discussion 3) no vulgar language and 4) encourage productive, positive discussions

But in Masonry we are expected to hold to a higher standard. This from Thomas Smith Webb:

Neither envy nor censure is discovered among true Masons.
{...}
All employed in Masonry meekly receive their rewards, and use no disobliging name. Brother or fellow are the terms or appellations they bestow on each other. They behave courteously within and without the Lodge, and never desert the master till the work is finished.
{...}
You are to salute one another in a courteous manner, agreeably to the forms established among Masons
{...}
Masons meet as members of one family; all prejudices, therefore, on account of religion, country, or private opinion, are removed.
{...}
Masonry deprives no man of the honor due to his rank or character, but rather adds to his honor, especially if he has deserved well of the Fraternity, who always render honor to whom it is due, and avoid ill manners.

When a man is installed as Master of a Lodge he agrees to:

avoid private piques and quarrels, and to guard against intemperance and excess.

be cautious in carriage and behavior, courteous to your brethren and faithful to your Lodge.

respect genuine brethren and to discountenance imposters, and all dissenters from the original plan of Masonry.

promote the general good of society, to cultivate the social virtues, and to propagate the knowledge of the Art.

So you see there is a standard of behavior expected of all Masons. It saddens me when that standard is not met and when a Brother does not feel welcome because another brother has treated him in a non-brotherly manner.

There is a verse in the Bible where Abram and Lot are having difficulty with their herdsmen. Genisis 13: 8-9
Abram said unto Lot, Let there be not strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdmen and thy herdmen; for we be brethren.

V9 Is not the whole land before thee? Separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if thou wilt take the left hand, then I will go to the right: or if thou depart to the right hand, then I will go to the left.
That is what I tend to do. If I feel the strife has gotten to the point where I can no longer tolerate it I find another pasture.

If there are other factors such as someone treating me poorly by lying to me or disrespecting me it adds fuel to my decision. That is why I am currently evaluating some associations. I think I know what the standards of Brotherly behavior are. I hope this can be resolved. It remains to be seen. I know I don't need the emotional disturbance (continual) in my life that this has caused. Life is to short to put up with A**hole behavior. Nuff said. Have a good week-end. Now that I have this off my chest, I intend to. Hugs, j

No comments: