Monday, November 26, 2007

Visiting a Lodge

Peter and I went to Operative Lodge in Polk City for a First Degree tonight. We had a good time. The new Brother beginning his journey in Freemasonry seemed impressed with the degree. There were about 6 or 7 lodges represented there with some members holding dual membership and representing two Lodges.

As I listened to the ritual being given I thought about several things. One the antiquity of our ritual and how for at least the last couple of hundred years (ever since Thomas Smith Webb) the same speeches have been given in Lodges by hundreds, if not thousands of officers.

I then got to thinking about how a Lodge is like clockworks. Each Officer and member having an important part to play and each one working together keeps the Lodge moving forward. There is no unimportant part in the Lodge, just as there is no unimportant part in a clock. If one person does not do his job to the best of his ability the wheels will seize, bind and grind to a stop.

I love Masonry and I love to see degrees. I love it especially when it is done well with everyone participating and doing their best to make the evening special for the candidate. From the Tyler who greets the candidate and makes him feel welcome and helps prepare him for his degree to the Master conferring the degree in the East all are important.

It was obvious tonight that even the sideline members had a part to play. It is the custom of Operative Lodge for those in attendance to introduce themselves to the new Brother. Everyone in the room got up and told him who they were and a little bit about themselves. It made a very special feeling in the room.

All of the officers are in their places to serve the Lodge. No one is there to be served. We all have important jobs to do. If we do our jobs well we receive satisfaction for so doing. That to me is incentive enough to strive to do my best in whatever position I may find myself in for the present, knowing that I may have a different part to play in the future. I will try to do that to the best of my ability also, even if it is just being a participant from the sidelines.

No comments: