Wednesday, November 21, 2007

They Have Experienced It All

The paper tonight says that seven teachers with over 250 years of experience are retiring from the Ames Schools. They are:
Neta Tosten, kindergarten - 38 years
Peggi Laursen, Special Ed - 34 years
Karen Cantonwine, ESL - 23 years
Bonnie Hunziker, 4th grade - 32 years
Suzanne Kelly, 5th grade - 37 years
Kathleen Saari, Kindergarten - 17 years
Kirk Daddow, high school, 29 years.

The Ames schools will have an economic boost because of these retirements. They are experienced teachers and the school system will be able to hire less experienced teachers for less money.

The Ames students will suffer a loss. I know all but one of these people and they are all great teachers. Over the years I have seen them work, have visited with them about their classes or heard from others just about how great they are. (Mr. Daddow was one of my nephew's favorite teachers). I salute them all for a job well done.

It is too bad that they are taking early retirement because of the students who will not be blessed by their skill and artistry. I had to take early retirement because of my health problems and I know what they are going through. I know what they will go through.

I wonder if they are taking early retirement because of the change in the culture in the Ames Schools? I do not think that we have the quality of administration that we used to have. They seem to be more interested in "catch phrases" (world class schools - we had those in the 90's and identified them as such) and penny pinching (lets get rid of the refrigerators and other personal items in classrooms). I for one am glad that I am not working under the conditions I have been hearing about.

Whatever the reasons the Ames schools and the students will be diminished because of their leaving. I wish them all well and I hope they will enjoy their retirement as much as I am beginning to enjoy mine. (I still miss the contact with kids and colleagues) Hey guys. Let's do lunch!
Hugs, j

No comments: