Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Opera

When I was younger I used to listen to The Metropolitan Opera on WOI FM every Saturday. The music would transport me to a world of culture not available in Ames, Iowa.

I enjoyed listening to the accented voices of the stars who participated in the Opera Quiz. It was interesting and educational and some of the music would just fill me up.

It is different now. With the building of CY Stephens auditorium live opera came to Ames. I heard Carmen and Beverly Sills performed on stage. It was incredible.

Last year Charlie Brinkerhoff mentioned something to me about the fact that he had come to Ames to go to the Opera at the Cinemark theater. By then the season was over and I was not able to experience this new cultural event. I do not understand how I missed it but I did.

While I was attending Beowulf I noticed a very brief (less than 30 second) trailer about the Met in High Definition so I went out this morning and Googled (Did I ever mention how much I love Google and the Internet?) and I found a site that told me that there were a lot of operas going to be performed at the Met and broadcast in High Definition right here in Ames, Iowa at the Cinemark 12. You can find out about them at this web site.

The next (first?) one is on December 15 and is Romeo et Juliette. I don't want to miss any of them but I may have to miss one. It remains to be seen.

When I was younger, as I said I used to listen on the radio. I also used to watch on TV but somehow that was not as satisfying. Now I can go to the Theater and see it live in High def. My mother and sister once got me a small poster which said, "Help Stamp Out Opera!" I put it up but I still listened. In fact I probably turned the volume up a little.

I will leave my cell phone in the car but I will buy pop corn (or wine) it it is available. I am kind of excited. It will be something new. Folks in Des Moines and Cedar Falls can also take advantage of this technological event. Hugs, jcs

No comments: