Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sweet November

I have always liked November. I was born in November and while I don't make much of my birthday any more I used to. When I became (not turned) 60 the school had a pink gorilla bring me a chocolate cow pie and all the kids came in and sang Happy Birthday (I hate that song). That was the last celebration.

November begins with All Saints Day. (I'm no saint-but you knew that) It was named for the Roman (Latin) word for nine because of it being the ninth month of the Roman calendar.

Wikipedia lists these other names for November:

In Finnish, November is called marraskuu, meaning "month of the dead".
In Korean, it is called "Sip-il-weol" meaning the month number eleven
In Polish and Czech, November is called "Listopad", meaning "month of falling leaves".
In Turkish, November is called "Kasım".
In Xhosa, November is called ngeyeNkanga, meaning "month of the small yellow daisies".
In the American South, November is known as the "month of the dog".[citation needed]
In Croatian, November is called "Studeni" meaning "cold one"

We have Veteran's Day in November (the 11th) and also Thanksgiving. I used to belong to the Christian Science Church and that is the only special service that they hold all year long. I always liked going to church on Thanksgiving morning as it seemed to me a good way to start the day. You see, aside from what Mr. Hitchins said last night, I still believe in God. I am sure that my perception of deity is different from most people and I see no need to get into that. Perhaps it is still being formed just as I am still being formed by the deity. I just don't think that religion or religious institutions are necessary. I actually think that is what he was railing (OK, he didn't rail but I wanted to use the word.) against was the way human beings use religion to scare and control other people. Jesus said "Fear Not!" I think I'll use that as my motto.

Anyway November is a cool (not yet cold) month and I am glad to see it enter into our year. My 2008 calendar came in the mail today. I must put my dates in it. But first I need to go get my hairs cut. then I have to finish getting ready for the stated meeting at Lodge tonight. Hugs, j-bear

No comments: