Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Thoughts


I have to talk about what Jack (Craig's son) said about the best thing about living in Ames was for him. They moved here from Chicago because Craig wanted to raise his family in a more family friendly place than Chicago and a place with a good school system.

I met Craig through the Masons and he and I both belong to a lot of the same organizations. It has been a wonderful experience for me to get to know him and I admire him greatly.

We were talking about an article in the Ames paper talking about the number of students from Chicago who have moved to Ames. It was not necessarily a complimentary article and Craig was wondering if his kids were included in the count.

Jack brought a book along to read since he was sure that he wouldn't be "that" much interested in the adult conversation. It was about King Arthur and I mentioned to him that he could continue to read about King Arthur in various books all through his life. The book he is reading now and as he goes on there are various books on the aspects of the Arthur legend right up until the adult level. I found Jack to be an articulate, intelligent young man. He also plays chess. (I told him that I used to play chess also until I got beaten by a kindergartner - true story.)

Anyway back to the thing Jack likes the most about living in Ames is the "Freedom." He went on to explain that if he wants to play outside, he can! He can also go to the park with his friends. Think about it. Something you and I take for granted is so precious to a second grader.

There are a lot of cultural advantages to living in Chicago. I have always loved visiting there. The Art Museum and the stores are wonderful. The places to eat are out of this world. I can still taste the roasted garlic I had in a restaurant one time I was in there with Jonathan. (That was the time I came back from my meetings to the hotel room and Jon was not back from his excursion to the Museum. I worried for about an hour and a half. Of course he wasn't worried. He was just enjoying his walk back. Teenagers!)

I know that Craig must miss some things about living in Chicago but raising his family in a place like Ames is more important to him and I admire him greatly for the choices he has made. I also am glad that he came to Ames and that we met through the Masonic Lodge.

So Jack, enjoy your freedom. It was great to meet you and have breakfast with your dad and you and Shane. I am glad you are here! Enjoy your freedom. Hugs, j-bear

No comments: