Thursday, July 9, 2009

E-mail

I got this little movie in an e-mail from Sam.



I love e-mail. I have conversations with friends on e-mail and I check up on folks with e-mail. It is a good way to keep in touch with them. I can send group notices to a lot of people with e-mail and hopefully they are read and acted upon. Be that as it may be there are also limitations. Some folks have e-mail addresses and never read their e-mails. Some seem to be challenged about being able to answer their e-mail and the occasional e-mail comes back so I know it did not get through.

Text messages are like e-mail on your phone but I don't like them- for one thing my plan costs me if you send me a text message and I do not have a keyboard on my phone so to answer a Text message is a pain. But over all I do like the wonderful age we live in with the ability to commentate almost instantly with people halfway around the world. When I look at the little map and see where you folks are who are reading this blog I am awed. It used to take months to exchange the communications via letters. My Aunt Ellen used to write a newsy letter and make copies and send it to every one in the family. She lived in California and it was a great way for her to keep us in touch. Just think if she had been able to use e-mail. She signed her letters Isle of View - (say it out loud)

What I don't like about e-mail are the same things you probably don't like about them. I guess this little video explains all of that. I got the link to it in an e-mail today. Watch here.

And then tonight James sent me an e-mail with a link to an article that I recommend. It is here. It is called How Giving Changes Everything.

Some folks just forward e-mails with stories and advice in them that is spurious or false. Sometimes when a story is just to sweet or far fetched then I check it out with Truth or Fiction or Urban Legends. Like Mr Rogers being a Marine sniper in Vietnam. The truth is here. Or how Mars was going to be very close to the earth this summer. Truth here. I usually check them out and send the truth back to the person who sent it to me in the first place. Sometimes I get "caught" then I feel stupid. Anyway, that is my mini- rant for tonight. I guess it is really just an observation. Thanks for stopping by. Big Hugs, j

1 comment:

Nessa said...

I like email because things are in writing.