Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Easy Virtue


This was the sky when I came out of the Fluer Four Theater tonight. I went to see Easy Virtue. I had gotten an e-mail from the theater this afternoon advertising what was going to play this week-end and telling how this film was leaving on Thursday. So I needed an excuse to go to Des Moines anyway as I had to take some card stock down to Kurt because he is printing some dues cards for me. (I couldn't do them on my printer) and this was perfect. The blurb below tells you about the film.

The twenties have roared... the thirties have yet to swing. John Whittaker, a young Englishman, falls madly in love with Larita, a sexy and glamorous American woman, and they marry impetuously. However when the couple returns to the family home, his mother Mrs. Whittaker has an instant allergic reaction to her new daughter-in-law. Larita tries her best to fit in but fails to tiptoe through the minefield laid by her mother-in-law. Larita quickly realizes Mrs. Whittaker's game and sees that she must fight back if she's not going to lose John. A battle of wits ensues and sparks soon fly. Mrs. Whittaker manipulates every situation to undermine her, while Larita remains frustratingly calm and engineers sassy counter attacks. Before long, Mrs. Whittaker' s manipulation starts to work on John and Larita feels their love is in danger of slipping away.
The story was really funny in a sophisticated way and you had to be quick to catch all of the humor. I roared at some of it - and I felt alone because the other people in the theater were just sitting there quietly. It reminded me of when I went to see the movie Tom Jones in 1963 or 4 (It was later a Musical Play and had a Cast Album which I loved.) I was the only one laughing in the theater then also. I loved the double entendres and the bawdy humor.

It was written in 1924 by Noel Coward who was a playwright and composer and I love that they made the movie. There were some reviewers who did not like what the director had done with it but, Hey, I enjoyed it. But then my sense of humor is (and always has been) warped.

Speaking of humor, I am watching Craig Ferguson again. (It is so nice to be able to stay up and watch TV until I want to go to bed.) While I was watching his opening number with the puppets I suddenly realized just how much fun it must be to be him. I know he works hard at entertaining us but he also gets to put together these off the wall little skit things at the beginning of his show. You see CBS wanted him to start the show and then break for commercials (at least I think so) and he did not want to interrupt his monologue and so he had to come up with these little nutty skits to start out. Then when we come back he does his monologue which is always funny. Anyway the point of all of this is that I am just a little envious because he can act like a kid when he wants to. Putting on a wig, dancing around with puppets and acting like a real nut. Just plain fun.
Addendum: See what I mean -

He just mentioned his Web Site. You may want to take a look here. Well, anyway that is the update on my day. Boring enough for you? Thanks for stopping by. Hugs,

1 comment:

Nessa said...

I haven't heard of that movie but then I don't usual follow what's in theaters. I do have tickets for the opening night of Harry Potter, though. My daughter and I always go to the midnight show.