Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Memories and Friends

One of my former students called me tonight. I mean one from way back. Kathy was in one of my first (if not my first) class. She was evidently wondering if I was still around so she checked and called me. It was really neat to hear from her. We had a nice visit. Turns out she has three sons. The oldest is Jon's age. Funny when I think of her I see her as she was back in the 60's when I sometimes threw erasers around the class room.

Being a teacher is probably the most rewarding profession in the world. (Although not monetarily). When you renew contacts with students from years ago and you know that you meant something to them it makes you realize that your life counted for something. 38 years of teaching And the best thing about it was the kids.

The poem I posted earlier today is a tribute to a special friend. I first heard about the poem on a Masonic list I belong to. It was written by a fellow Mason and really struck a note with me. Family is important but family is stuck with you whether they like you or not. Sometimes you get the feeling that they just contact you out of a sense of "duty" - It is the friends you make and the former students that have become friends that really make life special. The closeness which develops as Kipling describes in the poem is rare and when it happens it brightens your life. I am grateful for all of them. It is getting warmer. Spring is coming. Daylight Savings time begins next week-end. Spring forward. Stay warm and be happy! j

No comments: