Friday, March 30, 2007

Napoleon's Pyramid



I just finished reading Napoleon's Pyramid by William Dietrich this afternoon. I was down at Border's and saw the book on the table and of course being an Egyptophile I picked it up and decided I needed to have this book. It is about a man who escapes from a sticky situation in France and accompanies the "Little General" on his expedition to Egypt. He won a medallion inscribed with mysterious symbols and people are after him because of that.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that he was a Mason and the Masons are a recurring theme all through the book. I really enjoyed it and was pleased that one of the characters was the Hermes Trismegistus. Those of you who know me know that my fantasy organization (The Secret Princes of the Hidden Temple) is headed up by the Hermes Trismegistus. I have had a lot of fun with this organization and this validates it.

Another thing that I like about the novel is that it teaches me about something without making it obvious or difficult. In this case it is the Fibonacci sequence. Translated into Fibonacci geometry yeilds one of the most beautiful designs in all of nature. You can see a flash sequence by clicking here.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a well written historical novel. And of course, you will have the anticipation of waiting for the sequel which the author is currently working on. I always love to have something to look forward to and I think I have discovered a new "favorite" author.

The book is on its way to my friend Charlie for him to read and when he gives it back (If he gives it back) you can ask to borrow it.

The author has a web page and you can see it by clicking here.

Speaking of Borders I recommend getting a Borders reward card. You can get some good bargains and if you spend enough you get a 10% off the next month. (I seem to have gotten that every month since I joined.) I know I should use the library but the last book I got from the library reeked of cigarette smoke. nuff said. Be Happy and have a great weekend.

No comments: