Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Taking Offense

"The mental arrow shot from another's bow is practically harmless, unless our own thought barbs it. It is our own pride that makes another's criticism rankle, our self-will that makes another's deed offensive, our egotism that feels hurt by another's self-assertion." Mary Baker Eddy

The above is from an article called Taking Offense from Prose Works. Over the years I have used this article to good advantage. That does not mean that I have to accept the thought of another as being merited. It just means that I can examine it and decide whether or not to be upset by it. It is my choice.

When I was a kid I had a talking to by my grandfather about my temper. He told me that he had lost a job because of his temper and he saw signs of his temper in me. (Something about the Irish as Margaret Smith used to say) I work to control my temper but my voice naturally takes on a "tone" at times. I think it comes from having had to control and get the attention of about 25-28 kids at once. I forget that. My voice carries and it is open to misinterpretation. No matter how others see (or hear) it I don't generally lose my temper. There is just not much to get mad at. I do get disgusted with things at times but seldon get out of control. Others may seem to think I have lost my temper when I have not. No one can tell how I am feeling inside.

I do get hurt easily and need to develop thicker skin but as I said I get over most things. I don't always forget and I still think the Genesis admoniton is worthy and I will always go to the "left" hand pasture.

In the meantime I had a good day. Hope you did also, Stay warm and be happy.

1 comment:

Verndigger said...

Hi Jay - nice to see you out here in cyber-land!

taking offense is certainly something I have to deal with - working on rising above it all, using the ideas from "living in Grace: the shift to spiritual perception".
completely reversing my thinking.

as you point out, it is our own choice how we think about anything.

regards,

Vern (of cslist)