Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Are You Just a Place Holder?

Back in October I wrote a post on Leadership. I heard from many people that generally agreed with me. I still feel that what I said then and at various other times. One person wrote to tell me that you can't develop leaders. That you are either born a leader or you are not a leader.

What I have seen over many years is that people accept positions of responsibility and the honors that go with it and then do nothing. They are place holders. Oh sure, they travel around and show up at events and get introduced but they don't DO anything. They do nothing to see that the organization moves forward or that plans are put in place to improve things.

Now that is not true in the Masonic Grand Lodge of Iowa. I have seen more happening this year (and to be fair in some other years) particularly to address the problems that we have in Iowa Masonry. The Grand Master, together with his Chairman of Division and Reference (and others in the Grand Lodge) saw and identified problems. They have traveled the state to meet with new Masons and listen to them and they are actively working to make things happen.

In the Scottish Rite I also see some hope. Both at the National Level and the Des Moines Valley there are Strategic Plans in place. Young Masons (Fellows) are involved and invited to Washington DC for meetings with Scottish Rite Leadership to help move the Rite forward. Activities are planned and coordinated to increase member participation. The meeting place of the Des Moines Valley has had major reconstruction done and air conditioning installed. It is now a place which makes you proud to walk into. You no longer feel that you need a bath after being there. It is clean, bright, inviting and gives you a sense of pride of belonging.

It is in the York Rite where I perceive that we have the biggest problem. As far as I am aware there is no coordinated effort to improve the situation in the state. Those who move into office do so for one year and they hold their place until they turn it over to the next person in line. There is no effort to grow and develop and the attendance at the Grand York Rite Bodies is getting smaller and smaller. Local meetings are not very productive and except for one or two bright spots the Rite is withering on the vine. It needs an infusion of new life.

I do not see a lot of quality people being attracted to our Rite. Past Grand High Priest Allen and I were discussing the situation other day. When he was in office he organized and held a Leadership Conference. It was fine. It was only held that one time. Bob was GHP in 1996-97. So for ten years nothing has been done to further the growth of leaders in the Rite.

We have something called a "Grand Council" in the Grand Chapter. It consists of the Grand High Priest, the Grand King and the Grand Scribe. (We do like our titles) but to my knowledge there is no counseling done between these fellows. There is no plan in place to set goals and coordinate with the other York Rite Bodies to actually feed and nourish the Rite in all of its bodies. Personal prerogatives and prejudices seem to get in the way. It should not be about which Body is better but about how can we work together to build and grow all three bodies.

One Companion and Sir Knight who sees this problem recently proposed a new way of choosing our "leaders." I am not sure that it would work but his ideas deserve a hearing. He has been suggesting things for years. He has ideas for growth, how to attract new members, things to do to educate our members, and activites to get and keep members involved. They work, he has proved it in his local York Rite Bodies. However, I see increasing frustration in him as he is ignored year after year. And he is right. If you look at the people involved in Grand Offices and Committees year after year after year you see the same names - moved around a little but what is the point. Does the same person have to be a grand officer or on the same committee over and over. It is not healthy. Bandages need to be changed periodically. (I got in trouble on my earlier post about making that statement but when I checked I was right. The same old faces in the same old jobs.) It is disheartening. Yes one or two new people are being "picked up" but not nearly enough. Perhaps we need to open it up so that a person does not have to be on the Dias or a Past High Priest in order to serve. Just a thought. May not have merit but at least it is a thought.

Those who are leaders find other places to go. I have a young friend who wrote to me:
Right now, I hate to say this, but if I were forced to choose between the York or Scottish Rites, I'd choose the Scottish. It's alive, vibrant, with fun and interesting activities. York Rite could easily be that as well, but I think there's just a lack of vision for the future. Being a RAM should be a HUGE deal, as should a Royal Master, and being knighted a KT should be as big of deal as receiving the 32nd or the 3rd. A patent for a KT should be given, just like in AASR. My AASR patent is framed, and means a lot to me. Yet all I have for KT is a dues card. I know that it should be something in my heart that makes the difference, but lets be honest, we like physical objects as well. I hate to say that I'd choose the AASR over the YR if I had a gun to my head, especially since my great-grandfather was so active in the YR, and you are as well. But, it's the truth.

So, now the question becomes, 'how can we build a direction, a leadership for the York Rite?'. The Scottish Rite has a strategic plan, that's easy to follow, but the York Rite seems to be a ship adrift at sea. That upsets me, and I want to change that, but I'm not in any position to do so. Maybe someday, but I hope that I don't get complacent, and do nothing when the opportunity comes. I hope...it's not too late.
This young man is a Masonic Leader. He is not afraid to try things and to work to build something better. But there aren't many out there who are willing to do the necessary things to make it happen. Unfortunately by the time a man reaches the top in the organization he is almost always a lame duck. If he has not been working for the three or four years with his fellows to improve the situation it is almost always too late. He could however start something. He could call a meeting of all of the Dias officers of the Rite and a few selected Pasts who seem to care and have the ability to lead (Past Most Illustrious Donald E. Mosier comes to mind) and begin a dialogue about what could be done to save the Rite.

Perhaps it would take a few years but during those years much could be accomplished. It is not enough to hold festivals and make new members of the Rite if they are to disappear and never be heard from again. Something must be done to make the Rite vital, interesting and relevant to the 21st Century. If not, I am very much afraid that the sign below is the only future for us.

Please note that if this post has made you angry that is a good thing. I only write it because I care. The York Rite has a lot to offer the Master Mason in the way of further light. It is worth preserving. Only those who are progressing through the lines have the power to make the necessary changes so that can happen. At the very minimum all of the Dais Officers of the Three York Rite Bodies should be be meeting quarterly (together not as separate groups) for at least a full day with others invited to participate.
I will support their efforts in any way I can but I also am getting really tired of hitting my head against a stone wall. I think my brains are starting to leak out. ARTYAL, Call Your Mother - Answer Your E-Mails. Hugs, jcs

5 comments:

Kurt said...

Another excellent post! Thanks, and I hope it's not too late to do something to make the York Rite what it once was.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

It needs to be BETTER than it once was and yes, something could be done but I don't really hold out much hope.

Anonymous said...

Jay wrote:
This young man is a Masonic Leader. He is not afraid to try things and to work to build something better. But there aren't many out there who are willing to do the necessary things to make it happen.

The last line is the crux of the situation. You can have all the plans in place that you want to "set goals and coordinate with the other York Rite Bodies to actually feed and nourish the Rite in all of its bodies." But plans mean squat unless there's someone in a Chapter, Council and so on to put them in place.

What's needed is competent leadership and committed members at the constituent body level.

Justa Mason

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! But as usual you are preaching to the choir and they know the selection.

I believe that we do have too many that have a goal collecting titles. Having a child doesn't make you a parent, neither does having a title(s) make you a leader.

It is almost time for our annual Grand Chapter/Council. Watch the title holders strut their stuff!

Tom Dean

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

As usual you don't quite see the point. There is nothing al all being done by those in the Grand Bodies to develop the constituent Bodies or to help them become viable by attracting ne members. No program of membership, training on how to build their local bodies. The Grand Officers are "Place holders"