Saturday, July 19, 2008

Flying Fortress

We have a B-17 Flying Fortress visiting Ames this weekend. Bob went out and got some pictures of it and shares them with us. Several years ago his wife, Suzanne (6th grade teacher) and her kids were reading a book that featured this type of aircraft. I think the name of the book was "We Thought We Heard The Angels Sing." The kids wanted to know what had happened to the airmen who flew the plane. Suzanne being the wonderful teacher that she is made a project out of it and after innumerable letters and research brought these men to Ames for a reunion. A learning experinece for the whole community and one that her kids would never forget. I found this article which mentions this on the web. Click here. Suzanne is thinking about going for a ride in the plane.

This noon a Brother and friend and I were eating at Legends and we saw the plane flying over ISU. Unfortunately I was not fast enough to get my camera out to get a picture of it before it disappeared into the clouds. But I have a snapshot of it in my head and sometimes those are the best kind.




No comments: