Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday Thoughts

Brothers don't always know when it is time to go home. Standing around after practice is a good time to visit.

Practices are important. Our officers have had a long break and they need and want to practice the ritual. We have three petitions which were received at the last Stated Meeting and so we need to work to get some of the rust out. We have a couple of Masonic Instructors and it is good to work with them to polish our work. I am trying to learn some things just to keep my hand it but as long as there are others to do it I am glad to have them do it.

And then there is a picture of our new flag with the moon behind it. It reminds me that the flag of the United States is planted on the moon and I can still remember sitting and watching it happen on television. While I am not fond of Television as a noisemaker there are a few shows I like to watch and I am in awe of the way it shrinks the world and brings it to me in my living room.


Jon was over this afternoon. He has decided not to go to Purdue. I think it is the right decision for him. When he looked at all the pros and cons he found that the goal of five years in graduate school for a degree which would not necessarily allow him to find a job in his field was not going to be in his best interests. I believe he is going to go back to school here in Ames to get a teaching degree so that he can be a teacher. I did everything I could do to discourage him from being a teacher but in the end it is a great profession and he will be a good teacher. If he can put up with the shit from (some) administrators and (some) parents. Most of them are supportive when they realize that what you are doing is trying to prepare their child for success in the next and succeeding grades. I did want him to go into it with his eyes wide open.

I believe he will move into the basement apartment. We will fix it up and clean it up and set it so that his cat can be up and down stairs and Bailey stays up here. Max will love having him here. And so will I.

Jon and I are going to take a trip up the North Shore of Minnesota in August and take the "boys" with us. Someone will have to watch the cat but that should be easy. Maybe I'll hire the kid next door or the lawn boy to come in once a day.

I have definitely decided not to waste my time and money by going to Grand Chapter and Grand Council this year. I will spend the money with Jon instead and we will have more fun. I will miss seeing some people but I won't miss the meetings. Stay tuned for Found Friday tomorrow, I have found some things. - So as usual, ARTYAL, Answer your e-mail and hug someone. jcs

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

In every 'tribe' there are norms and expectations - and if the members don't confirm with the tribe, they are not well received.
It is intriguing to hear about 'your tribe' this way and what goes on therein.