Wednesday, November 26, 2008



Oh my goodness, It is Thanksgiving Eve. My blogfriend Raven has been writing post after post of Gratitude leading up to this date. She is a prolific writer.
Diane at Forks off the Moment has a very clever post of Gratitude up.

A friend from of 40 years ago who I have not seen for about 35 years ago and I hooked up through the Internets. She sent me this today.

None of that Sissy Crap

Are you tired of those sissy 'friendship' poems that always sound good, But never actually come close to reality? Well, here is a series of promises that actually speak of true friendship. You will see no cutesy little smiley faces on this card - Just the stone cold truth of our great friendship.
1. When you are sad -
I will help you get drunk and plot revenge against the sorry bastard who made you sad.
2. When you are blue -
I will try to dislodge whatever is choking you.
3. When you smile -
I will know you are plotting something that I just have to be involved with.
4. When you are scared -
I will rag your sorry ass about it every chance I get.
5. When you are worried -
I will tell you horrible stories about how much worse it could be until you quit whining.
6. When you are confused -
I will use little words.
7. When you are sick -
Stay the hell away from me until you are well again. I don't want whatever you have.
8. When you fall -
I will point and laugh at your clumsy ass.
9. This is my oath....
I pledge it to the end. 'Why?' you may ask;
'because you are my friend'.

I am so grateful for the Internet and this Blog and the connections I have made from this wonderful tool. I have connected with old friends and students and made new connections. Helped a man become a Mason and hopefully continued to be an educator. (It also gives me a place to gripe about things but we won't go there.) This will be the 1735th post on this blog. I print them off and have filled 7 big three ring binders and am working on the next one.

I have gotten several notes from folks thanking me for being their friend and brother and I am thankful for that. My "sis" from Minnesota sent me a note reminding me of the great Thanksgivings that my mother and sister and I spent with her and her family in Minnesota. It was there that we heard the news that Cousin Michael (#39) had been born on a Thanksgiving. I will see him tomorrow at my Aunt's home.

I am thankful that my aunt thought enough of me to make sure that I felt loved. I have had a wonderful family all my life and when it seemed that it was disappearing and I was feeling very sorry for myself she came down and we had a long talk. We have grown much closer. She is the last of my mother's sisters and she ties me to all of the wonderful family that I grew up with. I miss them all but I miss them less because I can share with her some of the memories. She was the aunt who was there the night my grandmother died and I can still hear her telling me never to forget my grandmother. I haven't and I can't express the love I feel for her. (She reads this thing)

I am so very grateful for all of my friends and (most of) my brothers. Especially for Kurt and Craig each of whom helped to found (with me) new organizations this year. Both of them have been there for me and supported me through some tough times and I hope I have been there for them also. Even if we had not started these groups these guys have proven that they are very special brothers and I love both of them and their families. I especially love it when "The Princess" sees me and says "Jay" and reaches out to touch my cheek. Then she is off and running again.

Tom and Jimmie both are special guys also and there are lots of others. I won't list more because I am already leaving people out. I have to also say that I am so grateful for Matt and Dan and Jack - acquaintances who have become great friends.

Of course I am very grateful for those special friendships of longstanding that I have made through my career in education. Dallas, and Bob and Suzanne, Nathan and Neta are just five who come to mind. The students have been wonderful also. I have had so very many great people who have touched me through the years and I love it that I have made a contribution.

Now I am going to express gratitude for Barak Obama and Michelle. I am watching the Barbara Walters Special as I type this and it brings the joy back all over again. They showed just a little of the crowd at Grant Park the night he was elected. I saw the expressions on the faces of so many people that night and it brought tears to my eyes all over again. I am so proud that he won this election by over 8 million votes. It shows that America was ready for a compassionate, articulate (he talks in complete sentences) and intelligent president who will restore our place in the world. He has a huge job and I hate it that the pundants are second-guessing him already. We have to give him a chance. I can see the way he is with his wife and the way he has set himself to the gigantic task ahead of him I am grateful that he is my president and I hope people will give him a chance.

I get "down" on myself because I want things I can't have. I seldom give myself credit for things. I feel sorry for myself at times (and I shouldn't) - I was feeling down on myself because I put a lot of work into relearning the part for Saturday's York Rite Festival and not one word about whether or not I had done a good job. Then I went to York Rite tonight and the guys all told me what a good job I had done. I did "goof" a little but overall I got through it and we did it without a practice. That was the hard part.

Finally I am grateful for my 13 year old Bailey (He for whom this blog is named) and the love he shows me every time I return home. My mother died in January and I lived alone for most of the year. When Bailey came to live with me he filled a void in my life and I am so grateful for the nasty little bundle of love. I am also grateful that Nephew Jon comes over to visit his animals (Max and Cassie) who live with me.

%^ (that is in code) years ago my mother had a baby girl. Ginny was (and is) so very special to me. We have gone through a lot over the years. Laughed a lot and cried some. I can never ever put into the right words the way I feel about her and Jon. This bolg is really for her and I only wish the very best for both of them. We shared the most fun and wonderful mother who was always there for both of us and who "gave us the best years of her life" as she would always remind us when we were being naughty. We had fun and I guess I am most grateful that she allowed me to become her son. I hope I have made her proud.

God Bless each and every one of you on this Thanksgiving. With a heart full of love. Always Remember That You Are Loved (sometimes I forget) Hugs, j




Click on the picture.


Stolen from Ruth.

2 comments: