Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Salvador Dali

Salvador Dalí
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salvador Dalí, Marquis de Púbol

Birth name Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech
Born May 11, 1904
Figueres, Catalonia, Spain
Died January 23, 1989 (aged 84)
Figueres, Catalonia, Spain
Nationality Spanish
Field Painting, Drawing, Photography, Sculpture, Writing
Training San Fernando School of Fine Arts, Madrid
Movement Cubism, Dada, Surrealism

Dalí was a skilled draftsman, best known for the striking and bizarre images in his surrealist work. His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters.[2][3] His best-known work, The Persistence of Memory, was completed in 1931. Salvador Dalí's artistic repertoire also included film, sculpture, and photography. He collaborated with Walt Disney on the unfinished Academy Award-nominated short cartoon Destino, which was completed and released posthumously in 2003. He also collaborated with Alfred Hitchcock on the dream sequence from his 1945 film Spellbound.


Dalí attributed his "love of everything that is gilded and excessive, my passion for luxury and my love of oriental clothes" to a self-styled "Arab lineage," claiming that his ancestors were descended from the Moors.


Widely considered to be greatly imaginative, Dalí had an affinity for doing unusual things in order to draw attention to himself. This sometimes irked those who loved his art as much as it annoyed his critics, since his eccentric manner sometimes drew more public attention than his artwork.[5] The purposefully sought notoriety led to broad public recognition and many purchases of his works by people from all walks of life.



At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since.
Salvador Dali

Democratic societies are unfit for the publication of such thunderous revelations as I am in the habit of making.
Salvador Dali


Each morning when I awake, I experience again a supreme pleasure - that of being Salvador Dali.
Salvador Dali

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali

I do not paint a portrait to look like the subject, rather does the person grow to look like his portrait.
Salvador Dali

I don't do drugs. I am drugs.
Salvador Dali
I have Dalinian thought: the one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous.
Salvador Dali

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
Salvador Dali

It is good taste, and good taste alone, that possesses the power to sterilize and is always the first handicap to any creative functioning.
Salvador Dali
The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
Salvador Dali

The secret of my influence has always been that it remained secret.
Salvador Dali
The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents.
Salvador Dali

There are some days when I think I'm going to die from an overdose of satisfaction.
Salvador Dali

There is only one difference between a madman and me. The madman thinks he is sane. I know I am mad.
Salvador Dali

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
Salvador Dali

Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die.
Salvador Dali

We are all hungry and thirsty for concrete images. Abstract art will have been good for one thing: to restore its exact virginity to figurative art.
Salvador Dali

What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust.
Salvador Dali
I have always loved the imagery of Dali's surreal works. His works touch something in me. I particularly love his religious paintings. There is something about them that opens me up to Diety. You can read the rest of the Wikipedia article here.
I really did not accomplish a thing today. But I enjoyed myself. Tomorrow morning at 8:00 I have an eye doctor appointment. Speaking of Doctors I got a bill from my foot doctor for $48.00 today. It was dated for something that was done a year ago. I guess I will pay it but I called and let them know that I was unhappy about it. Seems someone in their office forgot to send it out. I have insurance and Medicare and that should take care of it but evidently they didn't. I canceled my next foot appointment and won't go back. Too bad I liked the folks out there but if I am going to get a bill for something that was done in September of 2007 I will skip going. It makes me wonder how many more bills I will get from them. I go to too many doctors anyway. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL. Hugs, J-bear.
Addendum: - I just got a call and an explanation from the Foot Dr.'s office. It seems that I don't owe them anything after all. It was a "computer generated" bill and the charge should have been taken off. So I put the appointment back on my calendar. (I am kind of glad because I really like the people there but I always have had a tendency to "cut off my nose to spite my face.") j

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Dali was a goofball. However, he did know the perfect place to put his home. Cadeques, Spain. What I remember of touring his house there is that his decorating sense was eccentric to cay the least.