Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Birthday Dinner


Last Friday was my Aunt Jo's Birthday. Thursday will be mine. So we decided to eat out to celebrate.

We went up to the Gilbert Corner to the Suburban Restaurant. This Restaurant has been a part of my life since I was in High School. Only then it was called the Top-O-Hollow and was right across the street from where we lived.

Maurie and Bernice Cox were the owners and
we lived just north of the Casey Motel north of Ames. This meant that I went to the Gilbert Schools. I graduated in 1959 and we had been there for about 4 years. I loved living there. It was a small house but it was full of my grandparent's love and Mom and Ginny and I were happy to be there. (Although sometimes I thought my Grandfather yelling at me that it was time to get up if I were alive was a little unreasonable.) Anyway the restaurant was right across the street. At that time it was a busy highway.


Later they moved the restaurant about 5 miles north of Ames to the corner of the Highway and the road that goes into Gilbert. We used to regularly make the trek out there to eat. (On Friday night they have ribs.)

They make the largest and best Port Tenderloins I have ever eaten. The steak is wonderful also.

Morrie and Bernice have passed on but their daughters still run the place and I feel like family when I go there. They are super people.



Jo suggested going there and I was glad because it is one of my favorite places. She had liver and onions. (Mother used to get that also.) I had the pork loin special and it was perfect.

I remember the night 49 years ago when my grandmother died and my Aunt Jo came up and said that I should never forget her. She said that my sister and her son were too young and would probably not remember her. Well she was wrong about that. Ginny reminded me that it was just 49 years ago in November that Ma (my grandmother) died. We both remember that horrible night just as if it had happened yesterday. Fortunately we also remember a lot of really good times also. Aunt Jo is the last of my Mother's sisters. I am so very happy that we had this time together. It was a wonderful evening and a great way to celebrate our birthdays. Thanks for stopping by. ARTYAL. Hugs, j-bear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Brother Jay! Thursday is also Past Grand Matron Luella Brammer's 89th birthday. She and Brother Rex are well, and living at the Angelus Retirement Community of Dubuque. I hope your day is enjoyable. Best regards from your Brothers in Dubuque York Rite.

Anonymous said...

Have a HAPPY BD Jay. Perhaps a nice glass of Xtabentun will make it memorable and give you visions.