Thursday, November 13, 2008

Question

I read this over at Wounded Bird"

DALLAS — The pastor of a megachurch says he will challenge married congregants during his sermon Sunday to have sex for seven straight days — and he plans to practice what he preaches.

“We’re going to give it a try,” said the Rev. Ed Young, who has four children with his wife of 26 years.

Young, 47, said he believes society promotes promiscuity and he wants to reclaim sex for married couples. Sex should be a nurturing, spiritual act that strengthens marriages, he said.

“God says sex should be between a married man and a woman,” Young said. “I think it’s one of the greatest things you can do for your kids because so goes the marriage, so goes the family.”

My question is this: I bolded a sentence in the quote. What I would like to know is just where and when did God say this. Is is in the Bible? Seems to me that in the Bible there were a whole lot of guys that had more than one wife. Was that OK because they were "married?"

Actually I am not sure about the Bible being used to answer that question is really a valid answer because the Bible was written my men. Anybody have an answer?

3 comments:

John Shuck said...

What a way to ruin your sex life. Do it because your preacher says to!

Solomon had 300 wives and however many 'concubines.' One wonders how he ever found time to manage the affairs of the state.

In the Song of Solomon, the lovers aren't married as I recall.

I haven't found this in the Bible. Paul tells people they should marry instead of burning with lust.

Leviticus has lots of rules about the slaves you have sex with. Lot got it on with his two daughters.

This preacher has an anti-gay agenda is all.

I agree the Bible is not a valid answer for the specifics of sexuality. Some things we do. Some we don't.

You might be interested in this excellent article by Walter Wink:

Biblical Perspectives on Homosexuality

and this by William O Walker, What the New Testament Says About Homosexuality

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Thanks John

My friend told me that this meant that the man has to be married. The woman not necessarily so.

Anonymous said...

That's because the Bible was written (and edited) by men. Not that I mind that perspective. That way I can act like all the others who use the Bible as justification for their behavior. Quote the parts you agree with, take them out of context if you have to, and ignore the parts that you cannot twist into your own way of thinking.